For more than 30 years, Nancy Hutcheson Harris has practiced exclusively in the area of marital and family law. Her firm, Harris, Hunt & Derr, P.A., resolves complex family law matters using the collaborative or traditional methodologies. She focuses on protection without destruction, guiding clients through their most difficult challenges, while preserving the client’s most important assets – the family and their financial future.
Ms. Harris was chosen by her peers as Tampa’s #1 divorce lawyer in Tampa Magazine in 2017 & 2018 and was named Family Law Lawyer of the Year in U.S. News – Best Lawyers®. For more than 15 years, Ms. Harris has been listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, a compilation of select attorneys who have consistently earned an AV-rating, the highest score awarded by Martindale-Hubbell®. Ms. Harris has been recognized as one of Florida's outstanding lawyers in Florida Super Lawyers®, Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, Tampa Bay Magazine’s Top Lawyers, Legal Leaders’ Tampa’s Top Rated Lawyers, The National Advocates Top 100 Lawyers, and The Best Lawyers in America. Her firm, Harris, Hunt, & Derr, P.A., has made the list of U.S. News- Best Law Firms® since 2016.
Nancy Harris is a founding member of the Tampa Bay Academy of Collaborative Professionals, earning recognition for her outstanding contributions to the collaborative movement. She is a frequent lecturer at Continuing Legal Education programs throughout Florida and, in 2016, presented at the 5th European Collaborative Practice Conference in Amsterdam.
Ms. Harris received the Hillsborough County Family Law Professionalism Award, selected by her attorney peers as having exemplified the highest standards of ethics and professionalism in the practice of family law. Ms. Harris authored the chapter on Collaborative Divorce in West Publishing Corporation’s Florida Family Law, 2011-2018 ed. (Vol. 23, Florida Practice Series).
Ms. Harris is currently on the Board of the Tampa Theatre; the Morean Arts Center Board of Trustees; formerly served on the Academy Prep Center Board of Trustees and the United Way Board of Trustees; and participates annually in the Lawyers for Literacy program.
For recreation, Ms. Harris enjoys challenging treks. She has summited Mt. Kilimanjaro; completed the Tour of Mont Blanc, France; reached Everest’s Base Camp; traversed Coast to Coast England; trekked the GR20 in Corsica; hiked the mountains of Bhutan; and climbed Mount Fuji.
· Bachelor’s Degree, Converse College
· MSW, University of South Carolina (1982)
· JD, University of South Carolina (1985)
· Admitted to Florida Bar (1985)
Awards and Recognitions
· Florida Super Lawyers (2007-2020)
o Top 50: Women Florida Super Lawyers (2019-2020)
· Best Lawyers® (2015-2019)
o Family Law Lawyer of the Year (2017)
· 10.0 AVVO rating
· Paul L. Whiting, Sr. Service Award (2019)
· Tampa Magazine #1 Divorce Lawyer (2017 & 2018)
· Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, AV rated (2000-present)
· Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers (2013)
· Top Lawyers of Tampa – The National Law Journal (2012)
· Hillsborough County Family Law Inns of Court Professionalism Award (2000)
· Pimm v. Pimm 601 So.2d 534 (FLA. 1992) (recognized by the AAML as one of Florida’s most important cases)
· Hillsborough County Bar Association
o Family Law Section § Executive Council (past member and Chair)
o Collaborative Law Section
· Florida Bar Family Law Section
o Financial Affidavit Task Force Committee
o Executive Committee (past member and committee Chair)
· St. Pete Bar Association
o Family Law Section
o Collaborative Law Section
· Stann W. Givens Family Law Inns of Court, Master
· Tampa Bay Academy of Collaborative Professionals
o Board of Directors (founding member, past Co-Chair)
o Executive, Membership, Marketing and Romero Committees
· Florida Academy of Collaborative Professionals (former Vice President & Board Member)
· International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
· Next Generation Divorce
· Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers
· Tampa Theatre Board of Directors
· Morean Arts Center Board of Directors
· Tampa Bay Area Committee on Foreign Relations
· Lawyers for Literacy Mentoring Program
· Hospice Women of Philanthropy