Find Lawyers in Tampa, Florida for Health Care Law
Practice Area Overview
- Transactions such as mergers and acquisitions of hospitals and health care companies; forming and implementing accountable care organizations; designing and negotiating physician-hospital alignment arrangements; and joint ventures and partnerships among health care providers and with health plans.
- Financing and restructurings, including capital access, venture capital/private equity investments and partnerships, and bankruptcies.
- Defending and managing mission-critical audits and investigations of potential False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback, Stark Law or other fraud and abuse violations; advising on self-disclosures; and negotiation of settlements and corporate integrity agreements (CIAs) with government agencies.
- Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, including general counseling, appeals, and updates on new developments.
- Advising on complex compliance issues and on compliance plans and procedures.
- Managed care contracting, litigation, and design of new reimbursement and risk-sharing models.
- Health information technology, such as contracting for electronic health records, cloud computing, software licensing, hardware acquisitions, and IT services and outsourcing.
- Privacy and security compliance, including counseling clients on HIPAA and HITECH Red Flag rules; designing compliance policies and procedures; internal compliance audits; responding to OCR investigations; monetizing health data; and managing and reporting data breaches.
- Corporate, regulatory, and strategic counseling issues, such as corporate structure, new business models, governance, licensure, certification and accreditation, and medical staff structures.
- Health care business negotiations and dispute resolution.
The client base in the health law practice is diverse and wide-ranging:
- Institutional health care providers, such as academic and community hospitals and health systems.
- Senior living and post-acute care facilities, including skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, community care retirement facilities, and home care and hospice facilities.
- Large physician groups, ambulatory surgery center and hospital developers, and ancillary service providers.
- Venture capital and private equity groups with health care funds and portfolio companies.
- Physician practice and health service management companies.
- Health care facility developers.
- Health insurers, reinsurers, and employer-sponsored health plans.
- Health information technology companies.
- Pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers.
- Medical transportation companies.
- National provider and trade associations.
Lee Bentley’s practice includes the defense of False Claims Act and qui tam cases, internal investigations, and white collar criminal matters. He specializes in telemedicine/telehealth, compound pharmacy, and urine toxicology cases, among other alleged fraud schemes. His experience also includes complex civil litigation involving government entities. Lee has handled trials and appeals in numerous federal and state courts, and has served as sole or lead counsel in almost 40 civil and cri...
Kirk Davis is the chair of the Healthcare Practice Group, a multidisciplinary team recognized nationally for representing sector participants in regulatory compliance, insurance, and transactional issues. An accomplished litigator, Kirk represents hospitals and health systems in complex regulatory compliance issues and disputes with a focus on medical malpractice and peer review hearings. Kirk has decades of experience in the peer review process and has been involved in all aspects of hearing...
Joe Rugg has 35 years of experience in representing healthcare providers, licensed professionals, and business clients in their transactional, tax, corporate and organizational, and regulatory matters. He has extensive experience in representing physicians and physician groups, including hospital medical staffs and independent practice associations, clinically integrated networks, management services organizations, diagnostic imaging centers, and ambulatory surgery centers. He has assisted he...
Recognition by Best Lawyers is based entirely on peer review. Our methodology is designed to capture, as accurately as possible, the consensus opinion of leading lawyers about the professional abilities of their colleagues within the same geographical area and legal practice area.
Best Lawyers employs a sophisticated, conscientious, rational, and transparent survey process designed to elicit meaningful and substantive evaluations of the quality of legal services. Our belief has always been that the quality of a peer review survey is directly related to the quality of the voters.