Akerman LLP is a top 100 U.S. law firm recognized by Financial Times as among the most forward thinking firms in the industry. Its more than 700 lawyers and business professionals collaborate with the world's most successful enterprises and entrepreneurs to navigate change, seize opportunities, and help drive innovation and growth. Akerman is known for its results in middle market M&A and complex disputes, and for helping clients achieve their most important business objectives in the financial services, real estate, and other dynamic sectors across the United States and Latin America.
Corporate, M&A, and Capital Markets: Advise public and private companies, including private equity funds, on M&A, capital markets transactions, financings, and other transactional matters, with a strong focus on the middle market.
Real Estate: Recognized for substantial experience in complex transactions, development and construction projects, economic development incentives, environmental matters, public-private initiatives, and litigation.
Litigation: Trial lawyers in offices throughout the United States recognized for experience in civil, criminal, and general commercial litigation, appellate, and international arbitration matters.
Consumer Financial Services: Represent banks and non-bank consumer debt originators and servicers in the areas of litigation, compliance, regulatory enforcement, and repurchase and recovery litigation, with an emphasis on investigating and prosecuting origination fraud.
Intellectual Property: Represent clients worldwide in all areas of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and the internet.
Fraud and Recovery: Provide comprehensive fraud management services for clients in the financial services, insurance, healthcare, and retail sectors with a focus on fraud litigation, Ponzi schemes, and corporate theft.
Bankruptcy and Reorganization: Serve as counsel or receiver in large bankruptcy filings. Also represent financial institutions and mortgage holders in workouts, and other secured creditors in Chapter 11 reorganizations.
Healthcare: Recognized for experience in regulatory, risk management, and corporate matters. Represent hospitals and health systems, health insurers and managed care organizations, physician practice groups, pharmacy-related organizations, and other industry stakeholders.
Labor and Employment: Represent employers in every major sector with all aspects of labor relations and employment law compliance and litigation, workplace safety, immigration, and non-compete and trade secret issues.
Tax: Advise domestic and foreign corporations, individuals, and nonprofit institutions on international, federal, state, and local tax issues, including tax planning, audit defense, tax litigation, controversy, and legislation.
Government Affairs and Public Policy: Bi-partisan team of lawyers and public policy advisers experienced in appropriations, transportation, hospitality, healthcare, education, Native American affairs, and local government matters.
- Bank of America
- BP America
- ComVest Investment Partners
- Florida East Coast Industries
- OPKO Health
- PNC Bank
- RedZone Capital Management
- Rosewood Hotels & Resorts
- Samsung Electronics America, Inc.
- SunTrust Bank
- Swire Properties
- The Geo Group, Inc.
- TriVest Partners
- Antitrust Law
- Appellate Practice
- Banking and Finance Law
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Corporate Governance Law
- Corporate Law
- Criminal Defense: General Practice
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Employment Law - Management
- Environmental Law
- Family Law
- Financial Services Regulation Law
- Franchise Law
- Health Care Law
- Insurance Law
- International Arbitration - Commercial
- International Trade and Finance Law
- Labor Law - Management
- Land Use and Zoning Law
- Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Litigation - Antitrust
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Litigation - Construction
- Litigation - Environmental
- Litigation - Health Care
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Litigation - Land Use and Zoning
- Litigation - Real Estate
- Litigation - Securities
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- Litigation and Controversy - Tax
- Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Municipal Law
- Patent Law
- Private Funds / Hedge Funds Law
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Public Finance Law
- Real Estate Law
- Securities / Capital Markets Law
- Securities Regulation
- Securitization and Structured Finance Law
- Tax Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Venture Capital Law
Strategies for Deposing Lay Expert Witnesses When Defending Railroad Companies
by Benjamin Slater III
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.