Congratulations on your recognition by Best Lawyers®. The guidelines below provide you with the tools you need to publicly showcase your honors.
How to Cite a Listing
- You are permitted to mention in advertisements that you are recognized by Best Lawyers®, listed in The Best Lawyers in America® or listed in The Best Lawyers in [Country Name]™, but not that you are a "best lawyer" or to suggest that a listing in Best Lawyers guarantees a desired result.
- Do not include any language the viewer may misconstrue as the listed lawyer being more skilled than lawyers who are not listed in the publication.
- Best Lawyers is always plural.
- When referring to Best Lawyers as an organization, domestic or internationally, use Best Lawyers®.
- When referring to American publications and listings, use the registered symbol. When referring to international publications and listings, use the trademark symbol. The names of all publications and lists should be italicized.
- The registered or trademark symbols should be included in the first mention of Best Lawyers® or The Best Lawyers in [Country Name]™. All following mentions of Best Lawyers lists and publications in the same document must be italicized, but do not need to include the registered or trademark symbols.
- When publicizing Best Lawyers awards online, a hyperlink to your Best Lawyers profile or www.bestlawyers.com is required.
- When publicizing Best Lawyers awards on social media, tagging Best Lawyers in your posts is encouraged.
- The Best Lawyers methodology is annual, national/regional and practice area based. All compliant announcements contain the year, country and awarded practice area. The only exception to this rule is a firm-wide announcement, which should contain the year, country and total number of lawyers included in the associated edition.
- When publicizing Best Lawyers awards using a group photo from the firm, the specific lawyers listed in Best Lawyers must be identified by name in a caption.
- It is not permissible to alter or modify the Best Lawyers logo in any way.
- Advertisers should check their state or jurisdictional bar associations’ rules on specialty certification before including specialties and subspecialties in any advertisement.
Example Announcement Formats
When referring to Best Lawyers as a list or publication in America use The Best Lawyers in America®. For all other countries, use The Best Lawyers in [Country Name]™. Be sure to include the year or edition number.
- Amelia June was recently included in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® for Family Law and Family Law Mediation.
- Julie Martin was recently selected by her peers for inclusion in the 12th edition of The Best Lawyers in France™ in the fields of Litigation and Tax Law.
- William Wright was included in the 10th edition of The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom™ for Social Housing Law.
Individual Lawyer with "Lawyer of the Year" Award:
Any display of Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" images or text referencing a lawyer’s recognition(s) must be accompanied by the appropriate specialty, metropolitan area and year in which the award was given.
- Robert Brown was named the Best Lawyers® 2022 Family Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Atlanta.
- Catherine Neal received the Best Lawyers® 2022 Real Estate "Lawyer of the Year" award in Winnipeg.
- David Potter was recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2022 Superannuation Law "Lawyer of the Year" award winner in Sydney.
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch:
Individual Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in [Country Name] announcements must include the country, year and awarded practice area. For firm-wide Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch announcements, follow the general rules. Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch announcements must clearly indicate that the award is for Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch and not The Best Lawyers in America.
- Susan McDavid was included in the 2022 edition of the Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America for her work in Construction Law.
- Anthony Forsberg received a 2022 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Germany recognition for Medical Malpractice Litigation.
"Law Firm of the Year" Award:
- Any display of Best Lawyers "Law Firm of the Year" awards must be accompanied by the appropriate specialty, country and year in which the award was given.
- Permission for use of the “Law Firm of the Year” logo begins on the date that this agreement is fully signed and lasts either 12 months after or until the next edition of Best Lawyers in your country, whichever comes first.
- For more information on the U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" rankings, please visit the "Best Law Firms" website.
Logo Usage Guidelines
To be eligible to use the Best Lawyers logo, the lawyer must appear in the print or online versions of the Best Lawyers rankings. The Best Lawyers logo shall only be used in the form and colors indicated, without modifications or alterations. Such logo(s) will not be used in a way that would reflect poorly on Best Lawyers. Permission for use of the Best Lawyers logo begins on the date of purchase and lasts either 12 months after such purchase or until the next publication of the Best Lawyers rankings in your country.
The Best Lawyers logo must be officially licensed prior to being used. The logo may be used in the following ways:
- Lawyer or firm's website
Footer of email messages
- Email must originate from the listed lawyers.
Print or online marketing
- The Best Lawyers logo may be used on billboards, outdoor advertisements and television ads only after the purchase of an additional license.
- Marketing brochures
Print and online statements
- Must first be provided to Best Lawyers for approval prior to production.
- Social media websites
Any display of the Best Lawyers logo should be accompanied by the appropriate verbiage.
Additional Approved Material
Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers® has become universally regarded as the definitive guide to legal excellence. Best Lawyers lists are compiled based on an exhaustive peer-review evaluation. More than 113,000 industry leading lawyers are eligible to vote (from around the world), and we have received more than 15 million evaluations on the legal abilities of other lawyers based on their specific practice areas around the world. For the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®, more than 10.8 million votes were analyzed, which resulted in more than 66,000 leading lawyers being included in the new edition. Lawyers are not required or allowed to pay a fee to be listed; therefore, inclusion in Best Lawyers is considered a singular honor.
For any questions related to our Publicizing Guidelines, contact Megan Edmonds at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal advertising is regulated by your state or jurisdiction. It is the sole responsibility of the advertiser to first comply with jurisdictional guidelines. Always refer to your state or local bar society’s rules if you have specific questions or concerns.
The Best Lawyers publicizing guidelines contain general recommendations but are not intended to be legal advice. Best Lawyers assumes no responsibility for advertiser compliance with jurisdictional guidelines.
After compliance with your state, provincial and national bar’s rules, any promotional material containing the Best Lawyers name must be emailed for approval before release in any public medium to ensure compliance with Best Lawyers' Guidelines. Please send drafts to our team who can provide feedback on any press release, announcement or advertisement.
Send materials for approval to Megan Edmonds, Public Relations Manager, at email@example.com. Please allow at least one full business day for approval from Best Lawyers.
Best Lawyers will monitor relevant advertising to ensure that any usage of its trademarked or copyrighted material complies with these guidelines. If any usage is found not to comply with the guidelines, Best Lawyers will inform the advertiser and request that the inappropriate advertising be brought into compliance. If timely and appropriate efforts are not made by the advertiser to bring the non-compliant advertising into compliance with the guidelines, Best Lawyers may temporarily suspend or permanently exclude the advertiser from any or all Best Lawyers databases and publications and take appropriate action to ensure that its trademarks and copyrights are not infringed.
Best Lawyers does not assume, and hereby expressly disclaims, any liability to any person or entity for any loss or damage claimed to arise from the failure by any advertiser using Best Lawyers materials of any kind to comply with these guidelines.
- Best Lawyers rankings shall only be used for the purpose of identifying a lawyer as having been recognized by Best Lawyers and not to imply an endorsement of any product or services.
- Best Lawyers has the right to monitor mentions of the Best Lawyers rankings, and if a lawyers' description of its recognition in the Best Lawyers list is inaccurate, or otherwise unacceptable, Best Lawyers will notify the lawyer and the lawyer agrees that it shall immediately remove or change such materials in accordance with Best Lawyers' request.
- Under no circumstances may the logos of Best Lawyers, or any other creative from Best Lawyers, be used without the express written permission of Best Lawyers.
- These guidelines are subject to change without notice, and Best Lawyers may withdraw or change these guidelines at any time and for any reason.
PLEASE NOTE that in consideration for the limited use of the marks Best Lawyers®, Best Law Firms™, and U.S. News®in connection with publicity or other advertising, all listed lawyers and/or law firms expressly agree to abide by the terms and conditions of these guidelines AND ANY APPLICABLE STATE BAR LEGAL ADVERTISING LAWS, RULES AND REGULATIONS. Failure to comply with any or all of these guidelines may result in temporary or permanent revocation of listing, civil liability for misappropriation or trademark infringement, and/or report to the appropriate lawyer disciplinary authorities.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America® are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo and database are protected under the trademark, copyright and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC has used its best efforts in assembling material for inclusion in Best Lawyers but does not warrant that the information contained therein is complete or accurate, and does not assume, and hereby disclaims, any liability to any person for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions in Best Lawyers whether such errors or omissions result from negligence, accident, or any other cause.