Tamela J. "Tammy" Coates KC, FCIArb
Recognized since 2019
Administrative and Public Law
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
Defamation and Media Law
Tamela (Tammy) Coates is a senior litigation and dispute resolution partner in Lawson Lundell’s Calgary office.
Tammy brings more than 30 years of experience advising clients in a wide variety of commercial disputes and with respect to risk management. Currently, she serves clients in the energy, telecommunications, and financial and professional services sectors regarding complex claims involving commercial, environmental, and intellectual property issues and risk and reputational management.
Tammy has appeared before all levels of the Alberta Courts, and has experience before the British Columbia Supreme Court and the Federal Court of Canada. She has extensive experience acting as counsel to numerous major energy companies with respect to upstream and commercial disputes, and landowner claims regarding water, soil, vegetation, and air contamination, including media and reputation management. She has also been retained to remedy issues regarding freehold leases, purchase and sale, operating, pooling, split title, and production disputes in addition to a variety of commercial disputes in insolvency situations, patent claims and misappropriation of intellectual property.
Tammy has acted as counsel to a major telecommunications company in a variety of commercial, corporate, and telecommunications related disputes, including corporate shareholding disclosure, facility and network placement, advertising and other publications, and class actions. She has also acted as counsel to an international wind development company and local developer in a commercial sale dispute and corollary dispute regarding connection rights to the provincial power grid.
Tammy frequently provides counsel to charities on a volunteer basis.
Tammy is a regular contributor to Lawson Lundell’s Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Blog, a resource that examines current trends and interesting issues emerging in the legal and business communities.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.lawsonlundell.com/team-Tamela-Coates
- Suite 1100, 225-6th Avenue S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 1N2
- British Columbia, Alberta
- ADR Institute of Alberta (ADRIA) and ADR Institute of Canada (ADRIC) - Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Fellow
- Former Professional Responsibility Committee - Law Society of Alberta
- Law Society of Alberta - Practice Review Committee
- The Advocates’ Society - Member
76 The Best Lawyers in Canada™ awards
19 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada™ awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada™ 2023 for work in:
- Administrative and Public Law
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Defamation and Media Law
- Women in Law Leadership (WILL) Award - Leadership in the Profession in Private Practice
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: Distinguished Peer Rated 4.3 out of 5
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- The Legal 500 Canada 2013 in the area of Dispute Resolution
- 2017 Lexpert Zenith Award: Recognized for the advancement of women in the legal profession
- Calgary Inc. Magazine: selected as one of Calgary’s “Top 40 Under 40” for 2004/2005
- Chambers Global 2011 and 2012 as a leading lawyer in the area of Dispute Resolution: Alberta
- The Canadian Board Diversity Council (CBDC) Diversity 50 (2016)
- Benchmark Canada: The Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys: recognized as a Litigation Star for Energy and Natural Resources and General Commercial litigation in Alberta
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Corporate and Commercial Litigation
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.