Paul E. Sheely
Recognized since 2016
Litigation - Construction
Paul’s practice is focused on defending general contractors, real estate developers, and specialty subcontractors in construction defect related litigation in both Oregon and Washington. His litigation experience spans 25 years in the areas of construction defect litigation and appellate work in both state and federal court. Paul is known for his expertise in defending design professionals in malpractice claims as well as defending builders against property owners in construction-related claims.
Prior to joining Smith Freed Eberhard, Paul worked for several years as a general litigator focusing on criminal defense as well as a wide range of civil litigation both at the trial and appellate level. Paul has extensive experience in all phases of litigation including pre-trial practice, trial practice, and appellate work.
Paul’s background provides him with valuable insight into all phases of the construction process. Before graduating with a bachelor’s degree in construction engineering management from Central Washington State University, Paul worked in the industry as a construction engineer and project manager on large scale industrial and commercial construction projects. He now utilizes this experience in his practice to better understand the facts surrounding each case that he defends.
Paul successfully appealed a fire loss case based on improper jury instruction as the measure of damages for injury to real property resulting in the reversal of a large award. He also successfully appealed litigation surrounding interpretation and application of Washington’s Notice of Construction Defect Statute. Paul has defended numerous dispositive motions in relation to interpretation of the “Economic Loss Rule” in Oregon.
Insights & Thought Leadership
With a passion for all things construction, Paul enjoys regularly giving presentations to construction professionals on legislative updates and case law affecting the Oregon and Washington construction industry.
- Lawyer Page: https://www.smithfreed.com/attorneys/paul-sheely/
- 111 Southwest Columbia Street, Suite 800
Portland, OR 97201
- Columbia Basin College, A.E. Engineering Technology, graduated 1979
- Northern Illinois University, J.D., graduated 1991
- Central Washington University, BS, graduated 1987
- Oregon State Bar
- Washington State Bar Association
- Super Lawyer - Oregon Super Lawyer - 2018-2020, 2022
- United States District Court - Admitted, District of Oregon
- United States District Court - Admitted, Western District of Washington
- Best Lawyers in America - Oregon - Best Lawyer 2019- 2022
- Oregon State Bar Association - Member
- Washington State Bar Association - Member
2 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
1 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America award
- Construction Law
- Litigation - Construction
- Best Lawyers in America - Oregon, 2023
- Super Lawyers, 2018-2020, 2022
- Insurance Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.