Recognized since 2007
Litigation - Banking and Finance
Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
John Aromando is Chair of Pierce Atwood's Litigation Practice Group. A firm partner with more than 30 years of diverse trial practice experience, John currently focuses on the defense of businesses in complex commercial litigation. John represents clients from a number of different industries including financial services, energy, pulp and paper, manufacturing, insurance, and professional services. He has defended clients in a number of class action lawsuits, in Maine and in several other states, has tried cases in both state and federal courts, and argued appeals before the Maine Supreme Judicial Court and the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
John also appears on behalf of clients in arbitrations and contested administrative proceedings. He has been involved in several significant lawsuits arising from the residential mortgage foreclosure crisis. He was also recently called upon to defend a large law firm sued by a former client for legal malpractice. He has represented both defendants and plaintiffs in a wide variety of civil lawsuits. John also counsels owners, contractors, and sureties concerning construction contracts, bonding and insurance, and represents them with respect to claims.
Contact & Links
- Merrill's Wharf
254 Commercial Street
Portland, ME 04101
- Boston College Law School , J.D., magna cum laude, graduated 1984
- University of Massachusetts - Amherst, B.S., cum laude, graduated 1981
- United States, Maine
- United States, Massachusetts
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Cumberland County Bar Association - Member
- Defense Research Institute - Member, 2015 Class Action Seminar Steering Committee
- Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar - Member, Grievance Commission
- Maine State Bar Association - Member, Consumer & Financial Institutions Law Section
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, Portland, ME (2020)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Civil Litigation
- Class Actions
- Commercial Disputes
- Complex Litigation
- Health Care
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Commercial Litigation.
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Received the 2016 Vincent L. McKusick Award from the Maine Bar Journal for his article, “Keeping Secrets From Your Client: The Attorney-Client Privilege For Lawyers,” published in their fall 2015 edition.
"John is efficient and knows his stuff. Regardless of the size of the case, he pays attention to it and works for a good outcome for his client."
- Mark Freeman (KeyBank National Association)
"Time and again John Aromando has taken on some of the most complex cases and helped guide us to a satisfactory result. He is very bright but never comes across as obtuse or aloof. John is reliable and responsive. There's never a need to track him down for an answer."
- John Marr (Maine Employers Mutual Insurance Co)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.