Recognized since 2015
Trusts and Estates
Debbie Cohn’s keys to professional success are as diverse as her eclectic client base that consists of professionals, business owners, retirees, and non-U.S. citizens. Yet perhaps her most critical—and comforting—characteristic is an ability to explain complex concepts in a way her clients can understand. Debbie’s approach to estate planning is equal parts pragmatic and creative, which helps put her clients at ease with the knowledge that their families will be cared for and protected, and their asset protection and wealth management goals will be met. And her wealth of experience and vast knowledge of the law allow her to blend her tax planning skills with a genuine compassion and empathy for a wide range of families.
As a member of the firm’s Estate Planning, Estate & Trust Administration and Tax practice groups, Debbie concentrates her practice in the areas of estate planning, probate and trust administration, business planning and taxation. She works extensively on the estate, gift and other tax concerns of non-U.S. citizens, U.S. citizens owning property abroad and beneficiaries of overseas funds. Many of her clients include foreign nationals employed by The World Bank and other similar international institutions.
Debbie was Chair of the Estate & Trust Section Council of the Maryland State Bar Association from 2012-2013, a position in which she supported the section’s charter to promote the interests of both the public and Estate & Trust Section bar members. In this role she worked with other section members to continually improve the law, further legal education among judges and attorneys and coordinate with the Register of Wills to improve the administration of estates. In addition, she assisted legislators in shaping estates and trusts legislation and testifies before committees of the Maryland General Assembly on legislation impacting Maryland estate and trust law.
Contact & Links
- 4800 Hampden Lane, Sixth Floor
Bethesda, MD 20814-2930
- 252 North Washington Street
Falls Church, VA 22046
- Bryn Mawr College, AB, graduated 1974
- Maryland, Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia, District of Columbia Bar
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel - Fellow
- Financial Action Task Force on Money-Laundering (ACTEC) - Member
- International Estate Planning (ACTEC) - Member
- International Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners - Member
- Maryland State Bar Association - Former Chair of Estate & Trust Law Section
- Montgomery County Bar Association - Former Co-Chair of Estate & Trust Law Section
- Washington, D.C. Estate Planning Council - Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Trusts and Estates
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (2011-present)
- Maryland Super Lawyers (2014-2016)
- Washington D.C. Super Lawyers (2014-2016)
- "Top Estate Attorneys," Washington Metro Area, Washingtonian Magazine
- "Best Estate Planning Attorneys in Montgomery County, Maryland," Bethesda Magazine
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Areas of Concentration
- Estate Planning
- Estate and Trust Administration
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.