There Is Hope after the H-1B Cap: Alternatives to the H-1B Visa

Alternatives and options if the change in H-1B visas applies to you or your business.

H-1B Visa Alternatives for 2018

Meredith W. Barnette

July 5, 2018 12:36 PM

There is a statutory cap that limits the number of new H-1B petitions that may be approved in a fiscal year. The cap of H-1B visas is currently set at a total of 85,000. 20,000 of those visas are reserved for the “Master’s Cap” for those foreign nationals who have obtained an advanced degree from a U.S. college or university. The filing period for Fiscal Year 2019 was April 2-6, 2018. During that time, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services received 190,098 H-1B petitions and used a computer-generated random selection process (commonly known as the “lottery”) to select the appropriate number of petitions to meet both caps. This number is down from FY 2018’s total of 199,000. For those petitions not randomly selected, employers and foreign national employees are often left scrambling to find other visa options. It is important to note that there is hope after the H-1B cap and that other options, while not always ideal, are available. [1]

Does the Cap Apply to You?

The cap may not necessarily affect every employer, as some are exempt from the H-1B cap. These employers include institutions of higher education or a related or affiliated nonprofit entity, nonprofit research organizations, and governmental research organizations. Additionally, H-1B extensions, change of employer petitions, and amended petitions are not affected by the cap.

Concurrent Employment with a Cap Exempt Employer

If an individual holds H-1B status pursuant to cap exempt employment, then s/he may accept concurrent employment with a cap subject petitioner. In other words, if an H-1B holder is concurrently employed with an exempt and nonexempt employer, then s/he will not be counted toward the cap. Alternatively, an H-1B employee may be employed by a cap-subject employer but employed at a qualifying cap-exempt organization, and would not be counted against the annual cap.

The Cap Applies – What Are Other Options?

Employment Authorization Pursuant to F-1 Student Status

An employee may be able to leverage employment authorization based on current F-1 status or, in the alternative, return to school to further his/her education and receive employment authorization in the course of his/her studies. An F-1 student may be eligible for the following:

  • Curricular Practical Training (“CPT”). CPT is authorized by the school’s Designated School Official (“DSO”) on the student’s form I-20 and the position offered must be relevant to the student’s degree program. Students are not limited in the amount of CPT in which they may participate; however a student who has engaged in one full year of CPT is ineligible to participate in post-completion OPT.
  • Note a recent trend where USCIS is questioning the validity of CPT, especially where the student continues working for the OPT employer by enrolling in a degree program that immediately authorizes CPT. Students who pursue this option should maintain detailed documentation demonstrating their course attendance, including but not limited to official copies of current transcript, copies of degrees/certificates showing course completion, receipts for tuition payments, books, parking passes, & school supplies, school ID, course syllabi or outlines for the program, documentary evidence of physical attendance, and utility bills or other evidence of student’s current residence.

Optional Practical Training (“OPT”)

OPT may be authorized in an occupation that is directly related to the student’s major area of study. Generally, the total period of such authorization cannot exceed 12 months, with limited exception.

Note a recent trend where USCIS is denying an H-1B change of status request where the student has used more than 12 months of CPT and OPT at the same degree level.

24 Month Optional Practical Training (“OPT”) STEM Extension

F-1 students who receive science, technology, engineering, and mathematics degrees included on the STEM Designated Degree Program List may be eligible for an additional 24 months of post-completion OPT beyond the initial 12 month period mentioned above. To qualify, the F-1 student must currently be in a valid period of OPT and the STEM employer must meet certain requirements, including, but not limited to, enrollment in E-Verify, offering an OPT opportunity that is commensurate with those of similarly situated U.S. workers, implementation of a formal training program, and completion of a training plan.

Training Visas

If the position offered is more a training opportunity than productive employment, then the employer should consider a training visa.

  • H-3 Visa. To qualify, the training program must meet the following conditions: the training is not available in the applicant’s own country; the applicant will not be placed in a position which is in the normal operation of the business; the applicant will not engage in productive employment; and the training will benefit the applicant in pursuing a career outside the U.S. The applicant must also be able to prove that she plans on returning to her home country, both at the time of application for the H-3 visa and admission to the United States.

  • J-1 Visa. This visa permits foreign nationals to participate in an exchange program designated by the U.S. Department of State. The applicant must be coming to the U.S. for the purpose of teaching, instructing, lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills or receiving training. In order to receive a J-1 visa, the applicant must apply for and be accepted by an exchange visitor program designated by the U.S. Department of State. Some exchange visitors are prohibited from acquiring H, L, or permanent residence status for 2 years after participating in a J-1 program unless they obtain a waiver of that requirement from the U.S. Department of State.

May 2018 Policy Update

On May 11, 2018, USCIS issued a policy notice regarding “Accrued Unlawful Presence by Nonimmigrant Students and Exchange Visitors.” Foreign Nationals in F, J, and M (vocational training other than a language) non-immigrant statuses are given D/S or “Duration of Status” on their I-94 forms during their time as students and visitors. In the past, while it was problematic for these foreign nationals to remain past their completion of studies without changing status, they would not accrue “unlawful presence.” Accruing unlawful presence can lead to various bars to future US re-entry. Under the new policy, beginning August 9, 2018, individuals in F, J, and M status who failed to maintain their status will start accruing unlawful presence on that date should they fail to change their non-immigrant status or leave the US. [2]

Other Options?

O-1 Visa for Extraordinary Ability

Foreign nationals who are highly talented or have reached a high level of acclaim in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics should consider the O-1 visa. To qualify, the foreign national employee must be extraordinary in her field in terms of knowledge, ability, expertise and accomplishments and the position being offered must require the services of an extraordinary person. When pursuing the O-1 visa, the beneficiary should be prepared to demonstrate that she has sustained national or international acclaim and that her achievements have been recognized in the field through extensive documentation.

B-1 in lieu of H-1B

There is short term option for individuals who will be posted in the U.S. in a professional level position and who hold the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree. The applicant must receive her salary only from her foreign employer, except reimbursement of incidental travel costs such as housing or per diem. This visa is not intended for long term placement and should be used for activity in the U.S. that is less than 6 months in duration.

Work Outside the US – and Come Back

Global employers may create visa opportunities by electing to send key employees to work for an affiliate, subsidiary, or parent company outside the U.S. for one (1) year in a specialized knowledge, managerial, or executive role. This strategy may qualify the employee for an L-1 visa and facilitate the green card process for those who qualify as Multinational Managers.

Treaty Visas

Employers should also keep in mind that certain nationalities have additional visa options available to them, including but not limited to, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Chile, and Singapore.

Lawful Permanent Residence

For those foreign nationals not born in one of the countries with a backlog of immigrant visas, sponsorship by a U.S. employer for lawful permanent residence (“green card”) may be an option for long-term work authorization in lieu of short-term.

Stay Tuned

Identifying viable alternatives to the H-1B visa is an increasingly relevant exercise for employers as the demand for the H-1B continues to exceed the statutorily allotted numbers. On April 18, 2017, President Trump signed an executive order entitled, “Buy American and Hire American,” [3] which ordered a multiagency report on changes needed to the H-1B which may result in an even more restrictive visa program. For two straight years, the H-1B visa applicants have been restricted in using premium processing, an option to expedite case adjudications. USCIS states on its website that premium processing will not be available until September 10, 2018.[4] Policy decisions such as these are the likely cause for less H-1B visa applications in recent years.


Meredith W. Barnette has practiced U.S. Immigration law since 2006. Prior to becoming an attorney, she was an Immigration Paralegal. Ms. Barnette represents employers and employees in a variety of industries including, but not limited to manufacturing, information technology, medicine, and academia. She has extensive experience in the preparation of nonimmigrant visa petitions as well as extraordinary ability, outstanding researcher and multinational executive and manager immigrant petitions.






Related Articles

Texas "Lawyer of the Year" 2022

by Best Lawyers

Charla Truett is honored as 2022 "Lawyer of the Year" in Texas for Immigration Law.

Texas "Lawyer of the Year" 2022

U.K. Introduces Revisions to Right-to-Work Scheme and Immigration Rules

by Gregory Sirico

Right-to-Work Scheme and Immigration Rules in

Paying It Forward

by Best Lawyers

One woman’s journey from immigrant daughter to immigration attorney: her passion, purpose, and pursuit of excellence.

A Woman's Journey From Immigrant Daughter to

The Price of Admission

by Janice Zhou

States and the federal government are engaged in a pitched battle over immigration and refugee settlement—with the legal profession caught in the middle, taking fire from both sides.

Immigration Reform in Connecticut

Trending Articles

The Real Camille: An Interview with Johnny Depp’s Lawyer Camille Vasquez

by Rebecca Blackwell

Camille Vasquez, a young lawyer at Brown Rudnick, sat down with Best Lawyers CEO Phillip Greer to talk about her distinguished career, recently being named partner and what comes next for her.

Camille Vasquez in office

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard: The Best Lawyers Honorees Behind the Litigation

by Gregory Sirico

Best Lawyers takes a look at the recognized legal talent representing Johnny Depp and Amber Heard in their ongoing defamation trial.

Lawyers for Johnny Depp and Amber Heard

Announcing The Best Lawyers in The United Kingdom™ 2023

by Best Lawyers

The results include an elite field of top lawyers and firms from the United Kingdom.

The Best Lawyers in The United Kingdom 2023

Announcing The Best Lawyers in France™ 2023

by Best Lawyers

The results include an elite field of top lawyers and firms from France.

Blue, white and red strips

Announcing The Best Lawyers in Germany™ 2023

by Best Lawyers

The results include an elite field of top lawyers and firms from Germany.

Black, red and yellow stripes

Education by Trial: Cultivating Legal Expertise in the Courtroom

by Margo Pierce

The intricacies of complex lawsuits require extensive knowledge of the legal precedent. But they also demand a high level of skill in every discipline needed to succeed at trial, such as analyzing technical reports and deposing expert witnesses.

Cultivating Legal Expertise in the Courtroom

Announcing the 2022 Best Lawyers® in the United States

by Best Lawyers

The results include an elite field of top lawyers listed in the 28th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America® and in the 2nd Edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America for 2022.

2022 Best Lawyers Listings for United States

Announcing The Best Lawyers in Belgium™ 2023

by Best Lawyers

The results include an elite field of top lawyers and firms from Belgium.

Black, yellow and red stripes

Announcing the 2022 Best Lawyers™ in France

by Best Lawyers

The results include an elite field of top lawyers and firms, including our inaugural Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recipients.

Announcing the 2022 Best Lawyers™ in France

We Are Women, We Are Fearless

by Deborah S. Chang and Justin Smulison

Athea Trial Lawyers is a female owned and operated law firm specializing in civil litigation, catastrophic energy, wrongful death and product liability.

Athea Trial Law Female Leadership and Success

Choosing a Title Company: What a Seller Should Expect

by Roy D. Oppenheim

When it comes to choosing a title company, how much power exactly does a seller have?

Choosing the Title Company As Seller

Announcing the 2022 Best Lawyers™ in Germany

by Best Lawyers

The results include an elite field of top lawyers and firms, including our inaugural Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recipients.

Announcing the 2022 Best Lawyers™ in Germany

What If Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Had a Premarital Agreement?

by John M. Goralka

Oh, the gritty details we’re learning from the latest court battle between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard. This unfortunate airing of dirty laundry may have been avoided with a prenup. Should you think about getting one yourself?

What If Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Had Prenup?

U.K. Introduces Revisions to Right-to-Work Scheme and Immigration Rules

by Gregory Sirico

Right-to-Work Scheme and Immigration Rules in

Destiny Fulfilled

by Sara Collin

Was Angela Reddock-Wright destined to become a lawyer? It sure seems that way. Yet her path was circuitous. This accomplished employment attorney, turned mediator, arbitrator and ADR specialist nonpareil discusses her career, the role of attorneys in society, the new world of post-pandemic work and why new Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson represents the future.

Interview with Lawyer Angela Reddock-Wright

What the Courts Say About Recording in the Classroom

by Christina Henagen Peer and Peter Zawadski

Students and parents are increasingly asking to use audio devices to record what's being said in the classroom. But is it legal? A recent ruling offer gives the answer to a question confusing parents and administrators alike.

Is It Legal for Students to Record Teachers?