For over twenty years, Bob has practiced a mixture of litigation and environmental law. Bob's litigation practice includes numerous trials in federal and state court, including matters handled in North Carolina, South Carolina, New York, Louisiana, Texas, Ohio, Florida, Illinois, Delaware and Tennessee. The subject matter of Bob's cases has ranged from toxic tort to shareholders' disputes to wrongful death.
Among Bob’s more notable appellate cases are Curl v. American Multimedia (N. C. App.) and Shavitz v. City of High Point (N. C. App.). In Curl, Bob represented defendants facing multiple toxic tort and groundwater contamination claims. His clients’ success stands as the leading toxic tort decision under North Carolina law. In Shavitz, Bob represented the Guilford County Board of Education in a dispute as to whether local school systems are entitled to the proceeds of fines imposed under “red light camera” laws and ordinances. The victory for the Board of Education resulted in millions of dollars in recoveries for school systems state-wide.
Bob’s recent successes have included a jury verdict of $6,300,000 against the North Carolina Department of Transportation, a jury verdict for a furniture retailer for wrongful termination of a distributorship agreement, and successful settlement of claims against two clients who had been sued relating to the Duke Lacrosse controversy.
Bob also has extensive experience representing parties in shareholders’ disputes. Recent decisions include a complete victory (including an award of attorneys' fees) in Texas State Court relating to ownership of a 45% interest in the defendant corporation, as well as a sweeping preliminary injunction against officers and directors who were accused of corporate malfeasance.
Bob has represented a number of plaintiffs in high-profile wrongful death actions.
Bob also has extensive experience in the field of environmental law, with years of work involving CERCLA/Superfund, UST, Clean Air Act, asbestos, RCRA, and toxic torts. Bob has worked on environmental matters across the country, including North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, California, Florida, Arkansas, and Ohio. Unlike most practitioners in the environmental field, Bob has considerable experience litigating environmental matters, including in State Court, Federal Court, and in administrative proceedings.
Bob has been married to Julie Davis since 1987. Their son, Rhyne, is a senior at Duke University. Their daughter, Grace, is a freshman Laurels Scholar at the University of North Carolina at Asheville.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Recognized for Environmental Law in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White) in the area of Commercial Litigation and Environmental Law
- Recognized as one of North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in Environmental Law and Litigation by Business North Carolina
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine in Environmental Law
- Recognized in Benchmark Litigation
Professional & Community Activities
- Director and Chairman of the Board, Presbyterian Counseling Center
- Member, Board of Directors, Greensboro Historical Museum
- Member, North Carolina State Committee, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Member, Trial Lawyer's Legal Ethics and Professionalism Committee, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Director, Greensboro Bar Association
- Elder, Fellowship Presbyterian Church
- Former Trustee, Greensboro Natural Science Center
- Director and former Chairman of the Board, Presbyterian Counseling Center
- Former Member, Environmental Section Council, North Carolina Bar Association
- Former Member, Appellate Rules Committee, North Carolina Bar Association
- Brooks Pierce Files Class Action Lawsuit Against Syngenta on Behalf of North Carolina Farmers
- Brooks Pierce Attorneys Represent School Boards in Key Cases
- Brooks Pierce Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Court of Appeals Affirms Client's Holdings in Texas Company
- Bob King Inducted as Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Brooks Pierce Earns Top Rankings in 2015 Chambers USA
- Brooks Pierce Attorneys Named Super Lawyers, North Carolina Super Lawyers