The Brooks Pierce Story
Brooks, Pierce, McLendon, Humphrey & Leonard, LLP is a business law firm providing comprehensive strategic counsel and innovative solutions to our clients. Our lawyers have expertise in all facets of business law.
Brooks Pierce clients are leading organizations and successful individuals throughout the United States and the world. We are well known for our abiding commitment to clients and our service ethic, both on a professional and personal level.
We are also a firm committed to understanding and empathizing, on a personal level, with the people who manage the companies we represent. This approach allows us to be responsive to the professional needs of our clients.
Further, we also approach our own lawyers and professional staff in the same way. We strive to maintain a family atmosphere within the firm and foster a culture that nurtures both personal and professional growth and fulfillment.
Only lawyers with a demonstrated record of professional excellence and the highest standards of personal integrity become part of our firm.
Since our firm's beginning in 1897, we have grown to 100 lawyers and serve clients from three offices.
Brooks, Pierce, McLendon, Humphrey & Leonard, LLP, is a comprehensive (national, regional and local) business law firm serving the needs of businesses, individuals, government, and non-profit institutions. The firm's expertise extends to every aspect of business law, including antitrust, mergers and acquisitions, start-up and publicly traded companies, banking, corporate finance, labor, securities, environmental, real estate, trade associations, education, foundations, public utilities, employee benefits, legislative, media, regulatory compliance, complex business litigation, and trusts and estates. Members of our firm regularly represent clients before the judicial, executive and legislative branches of government.
To broaden the scope and quality of the advice and assistance we provide to clients, we also have attorneys who devote substantial time to public service. These attorneys include present or former state officials, political campaign managers, military officers, regulatory commissioners, and law and accounting professors.
Our attorneys embrace the highest standards of professional and personal excellence. Our firm's goal is to provide an unsurpassed level of expertise and service to clients. To accomplish this goal, we hold ourselves to the highest professional and personal standards. Our attorneys exhibit intelligence, integrity, leadership, a demonstrated record of professional excellence, and a commitment to the law as a profession and a calling. Our attorneys have excelled in the nation's leading law schools, including Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, University of Chicago, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, University of Virginia, University of Texas, Wake Forest, Washington and Lee, William and Mary, and Yale.
Brooks Pierce differs from many firms of comparable size in that it has no formal departments or practice groups. Our firm has a long-standing philosophy: encourage young lawyers to explore different practice areas, experience different aspects of the law, and eventually narrow their practice focus as they become more experienced. Even our most senior and highly skilled attorneys do not confine their practice to a single, narrow area of the law. Our atmosphere is collaborative and collegial; our attorneys work closely with one another and exchange ideas on legal issues and complex matters, thus maximizing the scope and quality of the service provided to our clients.
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in North Carolina in Environmental Law with 5 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in Greensboro with 38 lawyers
- Top Listed in Greensboro in Bet-the-Company Litigation with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in Greensboro in Commercial Litigation with 10 lawyers
- Top Listed in Greensboro in Employment Law - Management with 5 lawyers
- Top Listed in Greensboro in Environmental Law with 5 lawyers
- Top Listed in Greensboro in Litigation - Labor and Employment with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in Greensboro in Mergers and Acquisitions Law with 4 lawyers
- Pro Bono Firm of the Year - South
- Benchmark Litigation "North Carolina Firm of the Year" (2016-2019)
- ABC-TV Network Affiliates Association
- Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Duke Corporate Education
- Gateway University Research Park
- High Point Market Authority
- National Association of Broadcasters
- Norfolk Southern Railway Company
- The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
- The Hearst Corporation
- Cape Fear Public Utility Authority
- Concord Hospitality Enterprises Company
- ITG Brands
About Our Clients
Representative Client List
For more than a century, Brooks, Pierce, McLendon, Humphrey & Leonard, LLP has had the pleasure of working with many fine individuals and companies. For your reference, we have listed below a representative listing of a few of our clients.
ABC-TV Network Affiliates Association
Bank of New York Mellon
Cisco Systems, Inc.
City of Greensboro
Deloitte & Touche LLP
Domtar Paper Company
Duke Corporate Education
Electronic News Directors Association
Gateway University Research Park, Inc.
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Guilford County Board of Education
The Hearst Corporation
Hearst Television, Inc.
High Point Market Authority
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Infrastructure Corporation of America
Leggett & Platt, Incorporated
Lexington Furniture Industries
Lorillard Tobacco Co.
National Association of Broadcasters
Norfolk Southern Railway Co.
NC Association of Broadcasters
NC Association of Petroleum & Convenience Marketers
NC Bankers Association
NC Cable Telecommunications Association
NC Technology Association
The New York Times Co.
Northstar Travel Media, LLC
Office Depot, Inc.
PCS Phosphate Company, Inc.
Piedmont Triad Airport Authority
Red Hat, Inc.
TIMCO Aviation Services, Inc.
Time Warner Cable
United Guaranty Corporation
United Healthcare Services, Inc.
University of North Carolina
US Greenfiber, LLC
Village of Bald Head Island
Volvo Group North America, Inc.
Wake Forest University
Director of Marketing & Business Development
Director of Administration
Firm Practice Areas
- Banking and Finance Law
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Communications Law
- Construction Law
- Copyright Law
- Corporate Law
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Education Law
- Employment Law - Management
- Environmental Law
- Financial Services Regulation Law
- First Amendment Law
- Government Relations Practice
- Health Care Law
- International Trade and Finance Law
- Labor Law - Management
- Litigation - Antitrust
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Litigation - Environmental
- Litigation - First Amendment
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Litigation - Patent
- Litigation - Securities
- Litigation and Controversy - Tax
- Media Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Mining Law
- Natural Resources Law
- Patent Law
- Privacy and Data Security Law
- Real Estate Law
- Securities / Capital Markets Law
- Tax Law
- Trademark Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Venture Capital Law
- Water Law
Firm News & Media
Renaissance Plaza, Suite 2000
230 North Elm Street
P.O. Box 26000
Greensboro, NC 27420
Wells Fargo Capitol Center, Suite 1700
150 Fayetteville Street
P.O. Box 1800
Raleigh, NC 27602
115 North Third Street, Suite 301
P.O. Box 2460
Wilmington, NC 28402