Recognized since 2007
Buffalo, New York
Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
Michael Schiavone has provided legal guidance to businesses for 30 years. He concentrates his practice in the areas of business law, commercial real estate, and estate planning.
Mr. Schiavone is experienced in regularly counseling clients in a wide array of legal matters, including:
- Commercial lending and financial transactions
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate, partnership, and limited liability matters
- Business formation
- Business succession planning
- Contract negotiation and dispute resolution
- Tax planning for businesses and their owners
- Commercial real estate financing and development
- Estate planning
- Sports law
Mr. Schiavone's clients come form a wide range of industries, including banks and financial institutions, hotel and hospitality chains, franchises, health care, manufacturing and distribution companies, and professional sports teams.
Mr. Schiavone is chairman of the firm's Business and Corporate Practice Area and a member of the firm's Management Committee. He is fluent in Italian.
- Business and Corporate
- Banking and Finance
- Business Formation
- Business Succession Planning
- Closely Held and Family Owned Businesses
- Contract Negotiations
- Franchise Law
- Intellectual Property
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Estates, Wills, and Trusts
- Real Estate
- Sports and Entertainment Law
- Elder Law
In the News
Click on any of the headlines below to read the articles featuring Mr. Schiavone.
- Fast-Food Franchise Owners May Sue Over Recommended Wage Hike, legal analysis for WGRZ
- Mr. Schiavone co-authors article for Buffalo Law Journal on the new Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL)governing commercial electronic messages
- Super Lawyers Magazine featured Mr. Schiavone as their cover story, profiling his career and experience, in their 2013 New York, Upstate Edition
- Mr. Schiavone Provides Legal Insight For The Buffalo Law Journal on General Mills Legal Terms Controversy
- The Jamestown Post-Journal reports on Mr. Schiavone receiving the Fredonia College Foundation’s highest honor, the Distinguished Service Award
- Business First features Mr. Schiavone in a profile detailing his leadership at Lipsitz Green Scime Cambria andhis brother’s leadership at a local accounting firm
- Business First reports on Nemo Development construction initiative, including comment from Mr. Schiavone
Representative Clients & Matters
- Counsel to Buffalo Bills in connection with game day stadium operations, lease negotiations, sponsorship matters, intellectual property issues and employment matters
- Represent clients in the hospitality industry in a multitude of legal matters including all aspects of construction and development, financing, franchise matters, purchases and sales
- Advise automobile dealers in franchise and financing matters, including purchases and sales of dealerships
- Counsel to several manufacturing and distribution companies; advising on matters including supply/distribution agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements
- Counsel to several closely held family businesses; advising on numerous matters including facilitation of business succession planning and intergenerational transfers
- Represent businesses in all facets of mergers and acquisitions
- Assist corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies in connection with the preparation of shareholder’s agreements, partnership agreements and operating agreements
- Advise clients in connection with all aspects of business formation, operations and disposition: including related tax matters
- Represent clients in connection with zoning and site plan approval as well as financing for construction projects, which include new home subdivision approval, office buildings, hotels, retail operations and medical facilities
- 42 Delaware Avenue, Suite 120
Buffalo, NY 14202
- State University of New York at Fredonia, B.A.
- Syracuse University , J.D.
- New York, New York State
- Syracuse Law Review - Notes and Comments Editor
- Buffalo Niagara Business Ethics Award - Judging Panel
- Business Law Section and Estates and Trusts Sections of the New York Bar Association - Member
- Estate Analysts of Western New York, Inc. - Former president
- Fredonia College Foundation board of directors - Member and Past Chair
- Law Practice Management Section of the American Bar Association - Member
- School of Business advisory council, State University of New York at Fredonia - Member
- Western New York Financial Planning Counselors - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Tax Law, Buffalo (2020)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Corporate Law
- Tax Law
- Business Planning
- Closely-Held Businesses
- General Corporate
- Partnership and Limited Liability
- The Best Lawyers in America: Named to Best Lawyers in America every year since 2007 for Corporate Law, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Closely Held Companies and Family Bus
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating: Rated AV Preeminent 5.0/5.0 by Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating, signifying his peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence for le
- Super Lawyers: Named to Upstate New York Super Lawyers for Business & Corporate and Sports Law. Named to Super Lawyers every year since its Upstate New York inception in 2007.
- Super Lawyers Cover Story: Featured as the subject of Upstate New York Super Lawyers 2013 annual magazine’s cover story.
"Michael Schiavone has been my corporate attorney for approximately 30 years. He has always given sound and accurate advice in a timely manner. He has also advised me on many personal issues over the years. Mike is extremely knowledgeable and personable above any other in his profession."
"It is rare to find an individual who always does what is promised. In today's world environment it is critical to any client who wants to achieve success. Although he has a considerable client base, Michael Schiavone provides unparalleled service and timely advice in a manner that makes us feel that we are his only client. His ability to take oftentimes complex legal issues and communicate them to me and others on my staff in a forthright and clear manner has proven invaluable over the many years of our association."
- Brent James (Diversified Control)
"Michael Schiavone has a very good understanding of our business and as a result, discussions regarding related issues are not drawn out but concluded in a timely and efficient manner. Our business is primarily a manufacturing business in the construction field, marketing and distributing the product we manufacture. Aside from the day to day issues, Michael is instrumental in negotiating representative and supplier contracts and assisting in the resolution of warranty claims where required."
- Miro Staroba (Staroba Plastics, Inc.), Holland, NY
"Mike's broad knowledge base and attention to detail have made him a great asset to our organization. I would highly recommend Mike to anyone looking for a first class corporate attorney."
"Michael Schiavone has been professional and thorough in working with me to solve the issues that I have presented to him. He has been accessible and has given me all the time and attention that I need in working through my concerns."
- Larry Raines (Corvette Plazas), Amherst, NY
"Michael Schiavone has been my lawyer for 20 years with great satisfaction."
- HENRY MANN
"Michael Schiavone has advised and represented me since the early 1980s. He's a competent and skillful lawyer who has represented and/or advised me, my company and my family in many business and personal situations. He listens, he comments and he guides in a professional way. He's an expert in his field. My family and I respect him."
- Charles Soponski (Star-Lite Mfg. Co. Inc.), Elma, NY
"Michael Schiavone has been a trusted advisor to our organization for many years. From assisting with simple business transactions to managing complex legal matters Mike's vast experience and tireless work ethic have been invaluable to our team."
- David Wheat (Buffalo Bills), Orchard Park, NY
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.