Matt is a shareholder and works with school clients, involving the representation of public school districts and school entities as solicitor, labor counsel and special counsel. He also serves private sector clients predominantly in general commercial litigation, most frequently in construction-related disputes.
Matt currently serves as solicitor for various school entities throughout Western Pennsylvania, including several public school districts, vocational-technical schools and charter schools. As solicitor for these entities, his experience includes:
- Review, interpretation and application of constitutional, statutory and regulatory matters affecting school entities, staff and students
- Drafting of school district operating policies and contracts
- Special education compliance and disputes
- Student disciplinary matters
- Personnel and employment matters, including:
- Americans With Disabilities Act
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Pennsylvania Human Relations Act
- Federal discrimination law
- Resolving specific labor issues affecting school clients
- Working conditions
- Demotion, furlough, discipline and termination issues
Matt represents school districts before administrative agencies and state and federal trial and appellate courts. In representing school entities, Matt has served as chief negotiator for various professional and non-professional collective bargaining agreements, representing schools throughout the entire Act 88 process including mediation, fact-finding, non-binding arbitration and court injunctions. He has also consulted on, and litigated a broad range of school personnel issues including labor grievances, unfair labor practice charges, demotion and discharge proceedings.
Commercial Litigation/Construction Law: Matt has comprehensive experience in the areas of construction law and litigation including:
- Negotiation and drafting of design, construction management and construction contracts
- Mediation, arbitration and litigation of construction-related claims involving:
- Design professional liability
- Non-conforming or defective work
- Payment disputes
- Delay and acceleration damages
- Work scope disputes
Matt has tried cases before federal and state courts, in both jury and bench trials, in mediation and arbitration proceedings and has served as an arbitrator in construction disputes.