María Lucia Laserna Angarita
Recognized in:Labor and Employment Law
Law School:Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
Firm's Phone Number:
Location:Carrera 14 No. 94 - 44 Oficina 201 Torre BBogotá, CO
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Especialista en Derecho Laboral
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Derecho
- Universidad Sergio Arboleda, Derecho Probatorio
- Colombia, Colombia, Member of the directive council of the labour bar association
- ANDI (National Association of Businessmen of Colombia) - Member of labour committee.
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Colombia for work in:
- Labor and Employment Law
Tell us a little bit about your practice and what makes it unique.
- It has to do with the ability I have to make a comprehensive analysis that covers all the variables to be considered in the analysis, having the ability to reach a practical conclusion that also considers the risks that the company is exposed to. All this, in order that the best informed decision is made with the best recommendation.
What common questions are you asked by clients, and what are your answers?
- The most recurring issue in the consultations is that it has to do with the risks with the separation of workers, specifically those that may have an assumption of reinforced stability (protected by a jurisdiction). In order to respond, It is always necessary to verify each case individually and the worker's background to be able to give the best recommendation that fits the need and characteristics of the particular case, providing that this person can claim in the future and that we would in charge if required of the defense with already a strategy that fits the company's interest.
Describe one of your most interesting or memorable cases in the past year.
- MANSAROVAR is an oil company that incurred a non-due payment because it paid its workers twice the same bonus. When evidencing the mistake that the company made, it contacted the workers to request the return of the money, but some of them, specifically the union members, refused to reimburse the resources to the company.
We provided advice to the company, to define a strategy to recover overpaid resources, based on the basis that under Colombian law a company cannot make discounts to the worker without express and written authorization. In this case, the strategy proposed was to compensate the obligations, so that Mansarovar - without deducting the money - could compensate the amounts owed by the workers against the debts owed to them, appealing to the jurisprudence of the Supreme Court of Justice and without that it was necessary to promote lawsuits against each of the workers.
What is most challenging about your area(s) of expertise?
- You have to have the ability to give your customers tools to have efficient and sustainable companies in labour department, at the same time guaranteeing the rights of workers and, above all, the harmony between the worker and employer.
Were there any particular inspirations (people or events) that spurred your interest in your practice area(s)?
- I wanted to work in business law, but also, liked tax law and labor law. I decided to go for labour because it works directly with the employer giving legal support and work directly on situations that directly deal with people, their needs where one as a person has to guarantee the objectives of the companies and the welfare of the workers at the same time.
What other interests do you have?
- Travel, keep learning, keep myself acuralized in labor law issues and continue to progress professionally. Therefore, I am doing a master's degree in the industrial relations School of Cornell University.