Mori Hamada & Matsumoto
Recognized since 2009
Capital Markets Law
Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- In the unique position of having obtained dual specialization, M&A and Capital Markets deals in Japan with a topmost reputation and a plentitude of experience in both of these areas.
- In M&A, engaged in TOB, cross-border M&A and alliance, and within Capital Markets, advised on a variety of financing such as Global IPO/PO and third party allotments, resulting in being held in high esteem by clients, investment banks and lawyers, in innovative or large deals in particular.
- More recently, actively providing advice in relation to discussion with activist shareholders, to litigation and dispute over corporate governance and disclosure and to crisis management including governmental investigation and independent committee for corporate scandals.
- A leading lawyer in Capital Markets and M&A in Japan as identified by the major publications, Chambers Global, Legal 500, IFRS1000, Who’s Who Legal and asialaw Profiles.
- Chair of the Public Company Practice and Regulation Subcommittee in the Securities Law Committee of International Bar Association.
Contact & Links
- Marunouchi Park Building
2-6-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku
- Keio University Law School, graduated 1998
- Columbia University School of Law , graduated 2004
- Japan, Daini Tokyo Bar Association (2000-)
- New York, State Bar Association (2005-)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Japan™ 2023 for work in:
- Capital Markets Law
- Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Japan's top 100 lawyers in Asia Business Law Journal(July 21, 2020)
- High evaluation received from "Who’s Who Legal: Global 2020":Capital Markets – Debt and Equity(September 14, 2020)
- High evaluation received from " Who′s Who Legal: Japan 2020":Capital Markets(September 18, 2020)
- 35 lawyers were selected as leading lawyers in asialaw Profiles "asia law Leading Lawyers 2021":Capital Markets/Corporate M&A Elite practitioner(September 23, 2020)
- Top rankings received from IFLR1000’s thirtieth edition:Capital markets - Debt/Capital markets -Equity Highly Regarded Lawyer(October 6, 2020)
- Top Ranking (Band 1) Received From Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021:Band 1-Capital Markets Leading Individual(December 15, 2020)
- Top Ranking Received From The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021:Hall of Fame – JAPAN:Capital markets(January 13, 2021)
- Top Ranking Received From Chambers Global 2021:Band 1- Capital Markets: Domestic (February 19, 2021)
- The 11th Edition of The Best Lawyers in Japan:Capital Markets Law(April 9, 2020)
- Keio University (LL.B.)
- Columbia University School of Law (LL.M., 2004)
- Foreign Visiting Lawyer at Linklaters in London (2004-2005)
- Member of the Security Analysis Association of Japan (2006-)
- Chair of the Merger and Acquisition Subcommittee in the Securities Law Committee of the Internal Bar Association (2018-2020)
- Chair of the Public Company Practice and Regulation Subcommittee in the Securities Law Committee of the Internal Bar Association (2020-)
- “Rule Change Business as a Weapon” (NIHON KEIZAI SHIMBUN SYUPPANN-SHA, 2020)
- "The Financial Instruments and Exchange Law: Regulations for Takeover Bids and Substantial Shareholding Reporting" (SHOJIHOMU, 2017)
- "Comprehensive Analysis of M&A Laws of Japan" (YUHIKAKU, 2015)
- “The Financial Instruments and Exchange Law: Capital Markets and Disclosure [3rd ed.]” (SHOJIHOMU, 2015)
- “The Theory and Practice of Equity Finance“ [2nd ed.] (SHOJIHOMU, 2014)
- “Trading of Listed Shares” (CHUOKEIZAI-SHA, 2014)
- “Insider Trading Regulations” (Lexis Nexis “Doing Business in Japan”, 2011) (English)
- “Future Prospects of Takeovers in Japan Analyzed from the View of Share-ownership Structures and Laws in Comparison with the United States and the European Union” (Columbia Journal of Transnational Law, 2004) (English)
- Global IPOs of Japan Post Group (2015)
- Global IPO of Japan Railway Kyushu (2016)
- Third party allotment of shares by Toshiba (2017)
- IPO by Techpoint, Inc. under JDR scheme (2017)
- Global IPO of Mercari,World, and Arterlia (2018)
- Global offering of Recruit and Japan Post Insurance (2019)
- Independent committee for misrepresentation of seismic isolation damper by KYB (2019)
- Privatization of Family Mart by Itochu Completion（2020）
- Independent committee for misrepresentation of financial statements by Toshiba IT Solution (2020)
- Combined offerings of shares, subordinated-bonds and straight bonds of Asahi Group Holdings（2020）
- Global IPO of Kioxia and Roland（2020）
- Represent investment funds operated by Advantage Advisors in injunctive relief on issuance of new shares in Sun Corporation taken by Oasis Management (2020)
- Global IPO of Appier (2021)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.