Jim Swanson is the firm’s managing partner.
He appears in a broad range of business litigation matters, with emphasis on securities and other general commercial litigation. His efforts are recorded in over 100 reported decisions and he has obtained a number of multi-million dollar judgments for his clients.
Chambers & Partners calls Jim “dynamic and talented” and notes that “he is feared by his opponents and affirmed by all to be highly effective.” Benchmark calls him a “definite star.” Best Lawyers named him Lawyer of the Year for Bet the Company Litigation in 2011.
Jim has taught at Loyola Law School and Tulane University. He is the chairman of the Choice Foundation, the governing board of three turnaround public charter schools in New Orleans. He is a board member and treasurer of the Innocence Project and a board member of the New Orleans Opera Association.
- J.D., magna cum laude, from Tulane University School of Law, 1987
- Associate Editor of the Tulane Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- B.A. Economic from Tulane University, 1984
- Baylor College of Medicine v. Citigroup Global Markets, Inc. (FINRA)
- UBS Financial Services, Inc. v. Carilion Clinic, 706 F.3d 319 (4th Cir. 2013)
- UBS Financial Services, Inc. v. West Virginia University Hospitals, Inc., 660 F.3d 643 (2d Cir. 2011)
- In re Merrill Lynch Auction Rate Securities Litigation, 758 F.Supp.2d 264 (S.D.N.Y. 2010)
- Lormand v. US Unwired, Inc., 565 F.3d 228 (5th Cir. 2009)
- Unger v. Amedisys Inc., 401 F.3d 316 (5th Cir. 2005)
- Adams v. Securities America, Inc., 2006 WL 2631863 (E.D. La. 2006)
- Civil Service Com’n of City of New Orleans v. City of New Orleans, 826 So.2d 23 (La.App. 4 Cir. 2002)
- Capital City Press v. Board of Sup’rs of Louisiana State University, 822 So.2d 728 (La.App. 1 Cir. 2002)