Find Lawyers in Brisbane, Australia for Tax Law
Select a location from the list below to find the best legal talent for your needs.
Tax Law - Brisbane, AustraliaAbout this Practice Area
Damien has over 20 years’ experience dealing with complex tax litigation and for the past 10 years has been exclusively involved in litigating with the various Revenue authorities. Aside from his listing in Best Lawyers in Australia, Damien was named as a leading tax lawyer in the 2017 and 2018 edition of Doyle's Guide. Damien has particular expertise in tax disputes and is based in the firm’s Brisbane office. A former partner at Ernst and Young law he led the firm's Queensland ta...
Lyndon is a qualified lawyer, chartered accountant and chartered tax adviser who advises on GST, payroll tax, land tax, income tax, capital gains tax and the establishment of private ancillary foundations. His diverse experience in dealing with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) from an accounting and a legal perspective has given him a valuable insight into the motivation of agencies. Lyndon has acted for clients from diverse backgrounds in a wide range of industries, including the non-pro...
Michael is a qualified lawyer, with over ten years’ experience advising on taxation matters in roles with leading Australian law firms and the major international accounting firms. Michael specialises in transaction taxation and structuring as well as litigious disputes with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). Michael has acted for publicly listed and large private groups in both buy side and sell side transactions, as well as major restructures and corporate dealings. His transaction...
Qualified as a lawyer, chartered accountant and chartered tax adviser, Mark provides advice across the spectrum of taxes. He has experience in income tax, capital gains tax, goods and services tax, fringe benefits tax, payroll tax and land tax. Mark assists with all legal matters involving taxation law, including making applications for private, class or product rulings from the ATO. He assists with tax audits and with related settlement negotiations with the ATO and State revenue authorities...
Tax Law Definition
Taxes are levied by the State and Federal governments. At a state level there are payroll taxes imposed on employers in respect of salaries paid to employees, land tax imposed on landowners, and duty imposed on a transactional basis. At the Federal level there is income tax, capital gains tax on dealings in assets and goods, and services tax to name a few.
Tax lawyers work within both traditional law firms and multi-disciplinary practices. The role of a tax lawyer is to assist both individuals and businesses to navigate the complex tax landscape and apply it to their circumstances. The role of a tax lawyer involves both advisory and dispute management services.
From an advisory perspective, tax lawyers assist clients to:
- Understand the tax implications of transactions and arrangements they have entered or propose to enter.
- Seek assurance or guidance from a revenue authority where certainty is desired on the application of a tax law to a particular client’s circumstances.
- Negotiate the terms of transactions and arrangements to give effect to the intended taxation consequences.
- Implement their transactions and arrangements in an optimal manner having regard to the client’s personal or commercial interests and the taxation consequences.
- Manage actual and anticipated tax risks that arise, including technical, strategic, and reputational issues.
From a dispute management perspective tax lawyers assist clients to:
- Manage and respond to revenue authority reviews of their tax position (for example, a regulatory audit of a taxpayer’s tax liability for an income year).
- Challenge the revenue authority view of the application of a tax law to the client’s circumstances through internal review and independent review avenues, including alternative dispute resolution and litigation.
- Manage and minimise their penalty exposures in relation to any historic underpayment of tax liabilities.
The practice of tax law requires a broad understanding of the legal landscape as the resolution of many taxation issues is resolved not only by reference to tax laws but also the broader legal framework, for example, the law of property, contracts, and equity.
Experienced tax lawyers are also often involved in the development of, and consultation in relation to, legislative and regulatory changes to tax law. Sometimes tax lawyers are active in advocating for legislative amendments where existing law is inadequate or impractical.
Recognition by Best Lawyers is based entirely on peer review. Our methodology is designed to capture, as accurately as possible, the consensus opinion of leading lawyers about the professional abilities of their colleagues within the same geographical area and legal practice area.
Best Lawyers employs a sophisticated, conscientious, rational, and transparent survey process designed to elicit meaningful and substantive evaluations of the quality of legal services. Our belief has always been that the quality of a peer review survey is directly related to the quality of the voters.
Enhancing Consumer Safety Through Winning Jury Trials and Substantial Settlements
by Justin Smulison