Ken’s practice focuses on tax litigation and tax dispute resolution. With over 30 years as a tax lawyer, he also has extensive experience in corporate tax planning, reorganizations and personal tax planning.
Becoming partner at Felesky Flynn in 1996, Ken was co-managing partner from 2008 to 2015 and was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2008. He has represented taxpayers before the Supreme Court of Canada, Tax Court of Canada, Federal Court of Appeal, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and Alberta Court of Appeal.
Ken holds both a Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws. He has presented on a variety of tax matters to numerous professional groups, including the Tax Executives Institute, Calgary Chapter, the Canadian Petroleum Tax Society, the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta and many more. Ken is recognized as a leading tax lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada.
Ken formerly was one of the Canadian Bar Association representatives on the Tax Court of Canada Bench and Bar Committee from 2015 to 2018. He served on the Advisory Committee on Judicial Appointments for the Tax Court of Canada from 2009 to 2014.
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2008
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 1988
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (with Distinction), University of Saskatchewan, 1987
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Comm) (with Great Distinction), University of Saskatchewan, 1983
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Tax Court of Canada Bench and Bar Committee
- Member, Board of Directors of the United Way of Calgary
- Chair, Finance and Audit Committee of the United Way of Calgary
- Past Member, Judicial Advisory Committee for Appointments to the Tax Court of Canada
- Past Director, Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
- Past Member, Board of Trustees, Calgary Health Trust (Chair of the Planning Giving Committee)
- Past President, Calgary Bar Association
- Past Director, Board of Directors, Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter
- Past Division Chairman, Campaign Cabinet, United Way of Calgary
- Past Member, Planning Giving Committee, Foothills Hospital Foundation
- Past Chairman, Taxation Specialists Section (Southern) and the Taxation Non-Specialists Section (Southern), Alberta Branch of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Petroleum Tax Society