With over 25 years of tax experience, John specializes in tax planning, estate planning and dispute resolution for private corporations and family farm organizations.
He holds his Bachelor of Laws, along with his Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), Family Enterprise Advisor (FEA) and Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP) designations.
John lends his wealth of knowledge as a regular presenter at various tax related forums and is recognized as a leading tax lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada.
John grew up in Calgary, received his CPA, CA designation in 1995 and articled at an international accounting firm. In 1995, John moved to Grande Prairie, Alberta, where he practiced tax planning as an accountant for 10 years, advising clients in northern Alberta and BC.
In 2005, John moved to Edmonton to attend law school at the University of Alberta and joined Felesky Flynn in 2008.
John enjoys spending time with his wife and four children, kiteboarding, cycling, golfing and skiing. In the past, he was a private bush pilot.
- Family Enterprise Advisor designation, 2017
- Trust and Estate Practitioner designation, 2016
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 2009
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (with Distinction), University of Alberta, 2008
- Chartered Accountant, 1995
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Comm), University of Calgary, 1991
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants of Alberta
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants of Saskatchewan
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Member, Family Enterprise Xchange (FEX)
- Director, Chartered Professional Accountants of Alberta
- Director, Edmonton CPA Club