Recognized since 1995
North Miami Beach, Florida
Trusts and Estates
Barry A. Nelson, a Florida Bar Board Certified Tax and Wills, Trusts and Estates Attorney and the author of Estate Planning and Asset Protection in Florida: A Plan to Survive Unexpected Financial Threats (available at www.jurispub.com), is a shareholder in the law firm of Nelson & Nelson, P.A. in North Miami Beach, Florida. He practices in the areas of tax, estate planning and administration, asset protection, fiduciary matters, partnerships and business law. He provides counsel to high net worth individuals and families focusing on income, estate and gift tax planning and assists business owners to most effectively pass their ownership interests from one generation to the next. As the father of a child with autism, Mr. Nelson combines his legal skills with compassion and understanding in the preparation of Special Needs Trusts for children with disabilities.
Mr. Nelson has received such honors as the Distinguished Planner Award 2021 presented by the Estate Planning Council of Greater Miami and was named the 2015 Miami Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in America©. He has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© consecutively since 1995 in the practice areas of Trusts and Estates and Tax Law and in Chambers USA High Net Worth Guide consecutively, since its inaugural edition in 2016, as one of less than 10 lawyers receiving the highest rating of “Band 1” in Private Wealth Law in Florida. He was previously listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the Florida Estate Planning category. Mr. Nelson has been designated as a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated Lawyer since 1982 and has been listed in other top Florida attorney publications including Florida Super Lawyers and South Florida Legal Guide.
Mr. Nelson is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) and served as Chairman of its Asset Protection Committee. He has published numerous articles in professional publications and he lectures extensively for professional organizations such as ACTEC, the Florida Bar, and the University of Miami Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning.
As the Founding Chairman of the Asset Preservation Committee of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar Mr. Nelson coordinated a project to write a treatise authored by committee members entitled Asset Protection in Florida (Florida Bar CLE 2008, 4th Edition 2015). Mr. Nelson wrote Chapter 5 entitled “Homestead: Creditor Issues.”
Mr. Nelson served as an adjunct professor for the University of Miami School of Law LL.M. in Taxation program from 1998-2009 and as an adjunct professor at the University of Miami’s Graduate Department of Accounting from 1978-1995. He is a past President of the Greater Miami Tax Institute.
Mr. Nelson is a co-founder and current Board Member of The Victory Center for Autism and Behavioral Challenges (a not-for-profit corporation).
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.estatetaxlawyers.com/BioBarryNelson.html
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2775 Sunny Isles Boulevard, Suite 118
North Miami Beach, FL 33160
- University of Miami , LL.M, graduated 1987
- Florida, The Florida Bar
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) - Member
- Asset Preservation Committee of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of The Florida Bar - Founding Chairman
- The Victory Center for Autism and Behavioral Challenges - Co-Founder, Chairman Emeritus and current Board Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Trusts and Estates, Miami (2015)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Tax Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Asset Protection
- Estate Planning
- Planning for Closely Held Businesses
- Special Needs
- Succession Planning
- Tax Planning
- Trusts and Estates
- Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Miami Trusts and Estates "Lawyer of the Year"
- South Florida Legal Guide, listed as top lawyer consecutively since 2003
- Top 100 Miami Florida Superlawyers, listed 2012-2013
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite, listed as top lawyer 2004-2008, 2011
- Wall Street Journal Top Attorneys in Florida 2011
- AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer
- South Florida's Top Rated Lawyers 2013, AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Ratings
- Florida Super Lawyers, listed as top lawyer consecutively since 2006
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2022, Trusts and Estates & Tax Law
- Chambers & Partners USA, High Net Worth Guide 2019 - Band 1 Private Wealth Law Florida
- Chambers & Partners USA, High Net Worth Guide 2017
- Chambers & Partners USA, High Net Worth Guide 2016
- Chambers & Partners USA, 2010-2015
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.