Recognized since 1995
North Miami Beach, Florida
Trusts and Estates
Barry A. Nelson, a Florida Bar Board Certified Tax and Wills, Trusts and Estates Attorney and author of Estate Planning and Asset Protection in Florida: A Plan to Survive Unexpected Financial Threats is a shareholder in the law firm of Nelson & Nelson, P.A. in North Miami Beach, Florida. He practices in the areas of tax, estate planning, asset protection planning, probate, partnerships and business law. He provides counsel to high net worth individuals and families focusing on income, estate and gift tax planning, and assists business owners to most effectively pass their ownership interests from one generation to the next. As the father of a child with autism, Mr. Nelson combines his legal skills with compassion and understanding in the preparation of Special Needs Trusts for children with disabilities.
Mr. Nelson received the Distinguished Planner Award 2021 presented by the Estate Planning Council of Greater Miami. Mr. Nelson is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and served as Chairman of its Asset Protection Committee from 2009 to 2012. Mr. Nelson has been named in Chambers USA High Net Worth Guide as a Tier 1 leading estate planning attorney in Florida since the inaugural edition in 2016. Mr. Nelson has been listed in Best Lawyers in America® since 1995 and is a Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated attorney. Mr. Nelson was named by Best Lawyers in America® as the 2015 Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year” in Miami.
As the founding chairman of the Asset Preservation Committee of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar from 2004- 2007, Mr. Nelson introduced and coordinated a project to write a treatise authored by committee members entitled Asset Protection in Florida (Florida Bar CLE 2008, 7th Edition 2022). Mr. Nelson wrote Chapter 5 of Asset Protection in Florida, entitled “Homestead: Creditor Issues” which is now co-authored by Mr. Nelson and Cassandra Nelson.
Mr. Nelson is a co-founder and serves as board co-chairman of the Victory Center for Autism and Behavioral Challenges (a not-for-profit corporation).
- 2775 Sunny Isles Boulevard, Suite 118
North Miami Beach, FL 33160
- University of Miami School of Law, LL.M, graduated 1987
- Florida, The Florida Bar
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) - Member
- Asset Preservation Committee of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of The Florida Bar - Founding Chairman
- The Victory Center for Autism and Behavioral Challenges - Co-Founder, Chairman Emeritus and current Board Member
- Trusts and Estates, Miami (2015)
- Tax Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Asset Protection
- Estate Planning
- Planning for Closely Held Businesses
- Special Needs
- Succession Planning
- Tax Planning
- Trusts and Estates
- Florida Super Lawyers, listed as top lawyer consecutively since 2006
- South Florida Legal Guide, listed as top lawyer consecutively since 2003
- Top 100 Miami Florida Superlawyers, listed 2012-2013
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite, listed as top lawyer 2004-2008, 2011
- Wall Street Journal Top Attorneys in Florida 2011
- AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer
- South Florida's Top Rated Lawyers 2013, AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Ratings
- Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Miami Trusts and Estates "Lawyer of the Year"
- Chambers & Partners USA, High Net Worth Guide 2017
- Chambers & Partners USA, High Net Worth Guide 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2022, Trusts and Estates & Tax Law
- Chambers & Partners USA, High Net Worth Guide 2019 - Band 1 Private Wealth Law Florida
- Chambers & Partners USA, 2010-2015
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.