Recognized since 2009
New Orleans, Louisiana
Admiralty and Maritime Law
Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Litigation - Bankruptcy
Stewart focuses on bankruptcy, restructuring, and creditors’ rights; admiralty and maritime; marine finance and vessel documentation; asset-based finance; litigation, corporate and commercial law; and oil and gas.
Stewart has been practicing law in New Orleans for more than 38 years. He is a 1974 graduate of Kenyon College, magna cum laude, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He graduated top in his class in 1977 from Tulane Law School where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and was a member of the Tulane Law Review.
Stewart has been lead trial and appellate counsel in over 60 reported cases in the federal and state courts. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers in New Orleans, Louisiana Super Lawyers, and Chambers USA. He has participated in oral argument before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit 13 times, as well as before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the Louisiana Supreme Court, and the Louisiana Courts of Appeal. He is either presently acting or has previously acted as debtor’s lead counsel or creditors’ counsel in a number of Chapter 11 bankruptcies involving companies operating in and outside of the Gulf Coast region. These cases include a number of relatively large reorganizations, including Torch Offshore, Inc., Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co., Inc., Gulf Fleet Holdings, Inc., Trico Marine Services, Inc., Force Energy, Inc., and Borders Group, Inc. Stewart has also handled significant marine finance transactions, as well as substantial mergers and acquisitions. He acts as general counsel to a number of regional businesses in providing counsel and his legal expertise.
- Significant Chapter 11 Bankruptcy & Creditor Matters
- Debtors’ Lead Counsel for Gulf Fleet Holdings, Inc., as well as 10 of its subsidiaries and affiliates in Chapter 11 with over $35,000,000 in assets and approximately $65,000,000 in claims
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co., Inc. in Chapter 11 with over $100,000,000 in assets and $100,000,000 in claims
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Torch Offshore, Inc. in a Chapter 11 proceeding with over $125,000,000 in claims and $100,000,000 in assets
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for East Cameron Partners, LP in Chapter 11 proceeding with assets of over $100,000,000 and debt of approximately $185,000,000
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Conmaco/Rector, LP in a Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Sun Drilling Products Corporation in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Case
- Lead or Special Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases of Saratoga Resources, Inc., Trico Marine Group, Force Energy, Equinox Energy, Virgin Oil Company, Inc., as well as others
- Representation of Citicorp North America, Inc. in the foreclosure of Oakwood Mall, a shopping mall in metropolitan New Orleans
- Represented Secured Creditors in numerous Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.lawla.com/attorneys/stewart-peck/
- Pan-American Life Center, Suite 2775
601 Poydras Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
- Tulane University , J.D., graduated 1977
- Kenyon College, B.A. magna cum laude, with distinction , graduated 1974
- Louisiana, Louisiana State and Federal Courts
- Louisiana Law Institute - Special Advisory Committee
- Louisiana State Bar Association - Member
- New Orleans Bar Association - Member
- Order of the Coif - Member
- Phi Beta Kappa - Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Admiralty and Maritime Law
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Ship Financing
- Listed in Chambers USA
- Listed in recent editions of Best Lawyers in America in the fields of maritime law and bankruptcy and restructuring law
- Listed in recent editions of New Orleans Magazine, Top Lawyers in New Orleans
- Past Chairman of the Bankruptcy Committee for the New Orleans Bar Association
- Order of the Coif, Tulane Law Review, Tulane Law School, 1977
Areas of Concentration
Admiralty & Maritime
Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Creditors' Rights
Corporate & Commercial Law
International & Cross-Border Law
Marine Finance & Vessel Documentation
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.