Stewart focuses on bankruptcy, restructuring, and creditors’ rights; admiralty and maritime; marine finance and vessel documentation; asset-based finance; litigation, corporate and commercial law; and oil and gas.
Stewart has been practicing law in New Orleans for more than 38 years. He is a 1974 graduate of Kenyon College, magna cum laude, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He graduated top in his class in 1977 from Tulane Law School where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and was a member of the Tulane Law Review.
Stewart has been lead trial and appellate counsel in over 60 reported cases in the federal and state courts. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers in New Orleans, Louisiana Super Lawyers, and Chambers USA. He has participated in oral argument before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit 13 times, as well as before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the Louisiana Supreme Court, and the Louisiana Courts of Appeal. He is either presently acting or has previously acted as debtor’s lead
- Significant Chapter 11 Bankruptcy & Creditor Matters
- Debtors’ Lead Counsel for Gulf Fleet Holdings, Inc., as well as 10 of its subsidiaries and affiliates in Chapter 11 with over $35,000,000 in assets and approximately $65,000,000 in claims
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co., Inc. in Chapter 11 with over $100,000,000 in assets and $100,000,000 in claims
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Torch Offshore, Inc. in a Chapter 11 proceeding with over $125,000,000 in claims and $100,000,000 in assets
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for East Cameron Partners, LP in Chapter 11 proceeding with assets of over $100,000,000 and debt of approximately $185,000,000
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Conmaco/Rector, LP in a Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Sun Drilling Products Corporation in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Case
- Lead or Special Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases of Saratoga Resources, Inc., Trico Marine Group, Force Energy, Equinox Energy, Virgin Oil Company, Inc., as well as others
- Representation of Citicorp North America, Inc. in the foreclosure of Oakwood Mall, a shopping mall in metropolitan New Orleans
- Represented Secured Creditors in numerous Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases