2 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
McGillivary Steele Elkin LLP (formerly Woodley & McGillivary) is a top-rated law firm devoted to protecting and enforcing the rights and interests of labor organizations and workers in both the public and private sectors. Established over 50 years ago in the nation's capital, McGillivary Steele Elkin's attorneys have over a century in collective experience litigating on behalf of workers and unions across the country.
The firm provides its clients with a wide-range of legal services covering all aspects of labor and employment law. Its experienced litigators handle complex cases (including class action cases) in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies, as well as in arbitrations. The firm's practitioners have substantial experience in both jury and non-jury trials and appellate court proceedings. In addition, McGillivary Steele Elkin LLP offers services in drafting and negotiating all forms of collective bargaining agreements, and drafting and promoting passage of legislation designed to protect worker rights and benefits.
McGillivary Steele Elkin LLP's attorneys have extensive experience in advising employees and labor organizations on claims relating to:
- Minimum wage and overtime pay
- Violations of federal pay and benefit statutes applicable to federal employees
- Adverse personnel actions taken in response to employees exercising their rights of free speech and freedom of association
- Retaliation for engaging in union activities
- Violations of labor-management relations laws (statutes affecting public and private sector employment)
- Sexual harassment and gender discrimination cases
- Equal Pay Act cases
- Pension rights and benefits
- Protections for workers and retirees in bankruptcy proceedings
- Discrimination in employment (race, age, sex, etc.)
- Family and medical leave rights
McGillivary Steele Elkin LLP co-counsels with other attorneys and law firms and welcomes referrals across the nation seeking employment and labor law counsel.
- Border Patrol
- Correctional Officers
- Federal Employees
- Fire Fighters
- Homecare Workers
- Law Enforcement
- Loan Officers
- Local Government Employees
- Restaurant and Food Service Workers
- Union Members
McGillivary Steele Elkin LLP has successfully represented hundreds of thousands of workers and their unions across the nation since its founding over 50 years ago. We proudly represent public and private sector unions and workers in a wide variety of matters, all aimed at enforcing and expanding the rights of employees to fair and equitable pay, and the ability to come together to achieve just working conditions through collective bargaining.Our firm’s passionate attorneys and staff work daily to carry out the firm’s mission of fighting for the rights of unions, their members, and non-unionized employees throughout the nation from our home in Washington, D.C. to all of the fifty states nationwide.
Whether you are a union leader looking to protect and enforce your members’ rights or an individual employee wishing to enforce your right to overtime pay or to be protected from discrimination or harassment, our lawyers are dedicated to working for you. Throughout our 50 years of exceptional service to our clients, our firm has grown in experience and expertise, and continues to be a nationwide leader in labor and employment law.
- Employment Law - Individuals
- Labor Law - Union
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.