34 The Best Lawyers in Canada™ awards
3 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada™ awards
With over 120 lawyers, we are a leading law firm in Canada representing employers on human resources and advocacy issues. Our role as a firm is to help our clients effectively manage their workplaces in a manner that best suits their unique needs.
All of our lawyers practice exclusively in the fields of labour, employment and related matters, and all of our efforts, firm-wide, are dedicated to facilitating this expertise.
Drawing upon our wealth of expertise, we work strategically with employers to achieve positive working relationships with bargaining agents and employees. We have extensive experience representing provincially and federally regulated employers in both the public and private sectors across Canada, and we frequently advise on matters which are national in scope. Our lawyers have appeared as counsel across the country before the courts and a variety of administrative tribunals, as well as in collective bargaining.
We view our relationship with clients very much as a collaborative partnership built on communication and trust.
We understand that strong lawyers, staff and students make for strong client relationships. In the same way that our clients value the people who drive their organizations and create their culture, we invest in our associates and junior partners to build strong client-service teams.
Our client education and training programs provide practical and cost-effective approaches to managing complex workplace issues.
Whether our clients are looking to train supervisors about a specific employment law topic, educate management about new developments or provide broad-based information sessions for employees, we can develop a program to meet their needs. For U.S. organizations with current or planned operations in Canada, we provide training on the differences between Canadian and U.S. human resources laws.
We tailor our sessions to reflect each organization, considering corporate values and sector-specific needs. Over the years, we have provided training in a diverse range of topics including the following:
- Workplace Investigations
- Sexual Harassment Incident Response
- Attendance Management
- Marriage Breakdown
- Due Diligence Management
- Cannabis in the Workplace
- Discipline and Discharge
- Employment Standards
- Health and Safety (including workplace violence and harassment programs)
- Obligations Under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
- Privacy in the Workplace
We build on existing work product and technological advancements to ensure efficient and cost-effective delivery of legal services. Our in-depth experience and technological proficiency shorten the learning curve, which translates into costs-savings for our clients.Our knowledge management lawyers work with our information technology specialists to develop state-of-the-art solutions for managing and sharing knowledge and work. Together with our library technician, they monitor case law and legislative developments on a daily basis. This team ensures the continuous updating of the following internal knowledge management tools:
- a body of precedents and sample documents collected and aggregated on our sophisticated firm intranet for easy access
- a document management system which allows us to access our comprehensive collection of memos and opinions
- a state-of-the-art search engine which searches across our knowledge collections to deliver relevant and responsive work product quickly
- a library collection of tens of thousands of arbitration decisions, reported and unreported, as well as unreported court decisions
- internally developed comparison charts of various statutory requirements across all provinces and federally, allowing lawyers quick access to cross-country information
- Banking and Finance Law
- Labour and Employment Law in Canada (2024)
- Labour and Employment Law in Canada (2023)
- Labour and Employment Law in Canada (2017)
- Top Listed in Ontario, Canada in Labour and Employment Law with 34 lawyers
- Top Listed in Toronto in Labour and Employment Law with 27 lawyers
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.