With over 120 lawyers, we are a leading law firm in Canada representing employers on human resources and advocacy issues. Our role as a firm is to help you effectively manage your workplace in a manner that best suits your organization's needs.
Hicks Morley’s labour and employment practice is our business. All of our lawyers practice exclusively in the field of labour, employment and related matters, and all of our efforts, firm-wide, are dedicated to facilitating this expertise.
Drawing upon our wealth of expertise, we work strategically with employers to achieve positive working relationships with bargaining agents and employees. We have extensive experience representing provincially and federally regulated employers in both the public and private sectors across Canada and we frequently advise on matters which are national in scope. Hicks Morley lawyers have appeared as counsel across the country before the courts and a variety of administrative tribunals, as well as in collective bargaining.
The depth and scope of our expertise in human resources law is the Hicks Morley advantage.
We view our relationship with clients very much as a collaborative partnership built on communication and trust.
Hicks Morley understands that strong lawyers, staff and students make for strong client relationships. In the same way that our clients value the people who drive their organizations and create their culture, we invest in our associates and junior partners to build strong client Service Teams.
Our client education and training programs can provide you with practical and cost-effective approaches to managing complex workplace issues.
Whether you are looking to train supervisors about a specific employment law topic, educate management about new developments or provide broad-based information sessions for employees, we can develop a program to meet your needs. For U.S. organizations with current or planned operations in Canada, we provide training on the differences between Canadian and U.S. human resources laws.
We tailor our sessions to reflect your organization, your corporate values and your organization’s particular needs given the sector of the economy in which you operate. Over the years, we have provided training in a diverse range of topics, including:
- Workplace Investigations
- Sexual Harassment Incident Response
- Attendance Management
- Marriage Breakdown
- Due Diligence Management
- Cannabis in the Workplace
- Discipline and Discharge
- Employment Standards
- Health and Safety (including workplace violence and harassment programs)
- Obligations Under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
- Privacy in the Workplace
We build on existing work product and technological advancements to ensure efficient and cost-effective delivery of legal services. Our in-depth experience and technological proficiency shortens the learning curve and translates into costs-savings for our clients.Our full-time Knowledge Management lawyer works with our Information Technology specialists to develop state-of-the-art solutions for managing and sharing knowledge and work. Together with our library staff, they monitor case law and legislative developments on a daily basis. This team ensures the continuous updating of the following internal knowledge management tools:
- a body of precedents and sample documents collected and aggregated on our sophisticated firm intranet for easy access
- a Document Management System which allows us to access our comprehensive collection of memos and opinions
- a state of the art search engine which searches across our knowledge collections to deliver relevant and responsive work product quickly
- a library collection of tens of thousands of arbitration decisions, reported and unreported, as well as unreported court decisions
- internally developed comparison charts of various
statutory requirements across all provinces and federally, allowing lawyers
quick access to cross-country information
Top Listed National Awards
- Top Listed in Canada in Labour and Employment Law with 30 lawyers
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in Ontario, Canada in Labour and Employment Law with 30 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in Toronto in Labour and Employment Law with 24 lawyers
Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer
Chief Knowledge and Business Development Officer
Chief Technology Officer
Director, Administration and Facilities
Firm Practice Areas
- Education Law
- Employee Benefits Law
- Labour and Employment Law
- Municipal Law
- Privacy and Data Security Law
- Workers' Compensation Law
366 King Street East, Suite 310
Kingston, ON K7K 6Y3
148 Fullarton Street, Suite 1608
London, ON N6A 5P3
150 rue Metcalfe Street, Suite 2000
Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1
77 King Street West
TD Centre, 39th Floor
P.O. Box 371
Toronto, ON M5K 1K8
100 Regina Street South, Suite 200
Waterloo, ON N2J 4P9