Mike Vercher is a partner and the chair of Christian & Small’s Insurance and Financial Services Practice Group. For 17 years, he has represented insurance companies and their insureds in litigation and coverage disputes.
Mike also routinely represents businesses in complex mass tort, workplace exposure, construction, transportation, product liability, premises liability, breach of contract and fraud litigation. He has tried cases as lead counsel in six different Alabama counties and participated in oral arguments before a full panel of the Alabama Supreme Court.
- Represents a manufacturing company sued over allegations of pollution, personal injury and property damage by approximately 1,000 plaintiffs.
- Represented an Alabama company forced out of business by the predatory annexation and zoning of property by a city in a jury trial in Huntsville, Alabama. The trial received significant statewide media attention and resulted in a multi-million dollar jury verdict for the client.
- Represented an Alabama company against wrongful interference with its rock quarry business in a jury trial in Scottsboro, Alabama that resulted in a multi-million dollar jury verdict for the client. The verdict was upheld on appeal to the Alabama Supreme Court.
- Served as lead statewide counsel for a large insurance company’s workplace exposure litigation .for more than 16 years
- Represented a large pharmaceutical company in statewide personal injury litigation for more than four years and through conclusion.
- Represents commercial and residential contractors in construction litigation.
- Represents insurers and insureds in catastrophic personal injury and bad faith cases.
- Represents appraisers, title insurers, real estate professionals, and home inspectors in litigation.
- Represents a soft drink bottling company in litigation in Alabama.
- Represents a retail company in litigation across the Southeast.
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association (ABA) Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section: Chair, Membership Committee, 2015-2018; Vice-Chair, Trial Techniques Committee, 2015-present; Chair, Task Force on Outreach to Young Lawyers, 2012-2014; Vice-Chair in charge of Continuing Legal Education Programing for Trial Techniques Committee, 2012.
- Alabama State Bar 2014 Leadership Forum
- Christian & Small LLP: Member, Executive Committee, 2009 – 2012
- ABA Young Lawyers Division: Senior Committee Director, 2007-2008; Cabinet Member, 2006-2008; Council Member, 2003-2008; District Representative for Alabama and Georgia, 2003-2005; Chair, Tort, Trial & Insurance Committee, 2002.
- Birmingham Bar Association: Executive Committee, Young Lawyers Section, 2001-2007
- Cathedral of St. Paul: Member, Parish Council, 2004 – present
- Holy Family Cristo Rey High School: Junior Board of Directors, 2008 – 2015
- Volunteer, Youth Basketball Coach, Vestavia Hills, Ala.
Awards & Recognition
- Selected for inclusion in Alabama Super Lawyers® in 2013-2015 in civil litigation defense and in 2010 and 2012 as a Rising Star in the fields of civil litigation defense, class action/mass torts and business litigation
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 in the fields of insurance litigation and mass tort litigation/class actions – defendants
- Selected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. Membership is by invitation only and limited to 1 percent of lawyers in each jurisdiction.
- One of only 25 lawyers from around the country selected to participate in the ABA Tort, Trial & Insurance Leadership Academy
- Selected as a Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Selected as a Fellow of the American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Selected by B-Metro magazine as a “Star of the Bar” in its 2015 and 2016 “Top Flight Lawyers” issue (March 2015, March 2016)
- Selected for the Birmingham Business Journal’s “Top 40 Under 40” professionals (2008)
Publications & Presentations
- Author, Preparing Your Client for a Video Deposition, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (August 2014)
- Presenter, Premises Liability Practice in Alabama, Barristers CLE Seminar (December 2013)
- Presenter, Ethics & Experts – What You May Not Know That Can Destroy Your Case, ABA Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section CLE and Judicial Division CLE Forum (April 2013)
- Author, The Opposite of Condemnation – A Legal Remedy Called Inverse Condemnation, American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Newsletter (Summer 2012)
- Presenter, Experts: Locating, Qualifying and Preparing Them for Trial Testimony, Barristers CLE Seminar (December 2011).
- Presenter, Dealing with Medical Liens and Medicare’s Right to Reimbursement in Settlement Agreements, Barristers CLE Seminar (Dec. 2010).
- Author, Dealing with the Difficult Topic of Loss of Consortium Damages During Trial, TIPS Trial Techniques Newsletter (Spring 2010).
- Presenter, Proving and Defending Special Damages, Loss of Consortium, Loss of Non-Occupational Services and Related Injuries, Barristers CLE Seminar (Dec. 2009).
- Author, An Associate’s Answer Checklist, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division 101 Practice Series: Breaking Down the Basics (2007).
- Author, Preparing Your Client for a Video Deposition, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division 101 Practice Series: Breaking Down the Basics (2007).