Bill has over 30 years of experience with a practice that focuses on surety and fidelity law, construction claims litigation, construction contract drafting and project administration, and insurance and commercial litigation. As co-chair of the firm’s Construction and Surety Group, Bill leads a talented group of lawyers that represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors, building component manufacturers, lenders, borrowers, architectural and engineering firms and insurance and surety companies in a wide array of construction-related matters.
Bill has counseled numerous surety clients throughout the country in regard to all aspects of suretyship, including drafting and enforcing indemnity agreements, managing defaults and takeover situations, defending payment and performance bond claims, and enforcing subrogation rights. His broad construction experience includes litigating delay and disruption, inefficiency, defective design, extra work and loss of business claims in federal and state court and in arbitration on behalf of project owners, contractors, subcontractors, sureties and design professionals. Bill has also regularly drafted construction agreements and advised clients on construction contract management and administration issues. He has also worked extensively with insurance company clients regarding coverage, bad faith and defense issues, including construction defect and subcontractor default claims.
Bill helped found and currently serves as President of the Philadelphia Surety Claims Association.
- Defended a surety against a multi-million dollar performance bond claim asserted by a GC on a Department of Defense project in Alaska, with the matter being resolved with no payment by the surety and complete reimbursement of all of the surety’s costs and expenses, including attorney’s fees
- Defended a surety against two million dollar performance and payment bond claims asserted against the surety and its subcontractor principal in regard to a the construction of an apartment complex in Philadelphia. The matter was successfully settled with no payment by the surety.
- Defended a general contractor and its payment bond surety on a multi-million dollar Miller Act claim brought by a subcontractor on a federal dam project on the Colorado River, and thereafter successfully prosecuted a claim on behalf of the GC and the subcontractor against the Department of the Interior for extra work, unpaid contract balances and inefficiencies
- Represented a major developer and operator of senior assisted living facilities in construction contract drafting and negotiation for projects in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Connecticut and Virginia
- Defended two American surety companies against multi-million dollar performance and payment bond claims regarding the construction of three off-shore oil production and storage platforms in Brazil
- Defended the surety on performance bond and fraud claims and prosecuted the principal’s affirmative delay and disruption claims regarding the construction of a major hotel project in Times Square, New York City
- Defended the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation against contractor's claims arising from a substantial overhaul of the I-76 Schuylkill Expressway in Philadelphia
- Litigated significant construction claims involving the expansion of a casino-hotel in Atlantic City, the construction of a large wastewater treatment plant in New Jersey, and construction of numerous hotels, apartment buildings, schools and condominiums throughout the region
RECOGNITION & INVOLVEMENT
In 2015, Bill was recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of Construction Law. He is also AV® Preeminent™ rated by the Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating system.
In addition to his law practice, Bill serves as an active member in the Georgetown University Alumni Admissions Program and volunteers as an alumni interviewer for Georgetown University.