Scott Elder is the leader of the firm’s products liability group and represents corporations in complex litigation throughout the country. Clients call on Scott for his extensive experience in mass torts and class actions as well as in individual cases alleging personal injuries from defective products. In the class action area, he frequently litigates cases that intersect the areas of product defect and false advertising and also provides advice on advertising claim construction, product development, and risk mitigation. Scott’s experience in products liability personal injury litigation includes pharmaceuticals, asbestos, silica, chemicals, automobiles, and consumer equipment and electronics. Scott is experienced in multi-district litigation and also serves as national counsel for clients with litigation around the country. He frequently litigates cutting-edge scientific or technical issues involving medical causation and has worked with a wide range of expert witnesses. Scott was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2016. He received his J.D. from Vanderbilt University, where he was a member of the Vanderbilt Law Review and the Order of the Coif.
- Represented a manufacturer of over-the-counter medication in FTC inquiry related to advertising. The FTC concluded the investigation without requiring any corrective action.
- Counsel to a leading over-the-counter drug manufacturer in multiple challenges before the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau.
- National counsel to an international mining corporation in asbestos and silica mass tort litigation in multiple jurisdictions around the country.
- Counsel to a leading automobile manufacturer in claims arising from allegedly defective airbags.
- Represented a national restaurant chain in purported class action in California alleging false advertising to children. The court dismissed all claims at the motion to dismiss stage.
- National counsel to one of the nation’s largest wireless phone service providers in litigation alleging adverse health effects from the use of wireless phones.
- Counsel to a leading maker of vitamin supplements in a purported nationwide class action pending in California alleging consumer fraud and false advertising. The court denied plaintiffs’ motion to certify the class.
- Counsel to a Fortune 50 computer company in a purported nationwide consumer class action pending in New York alleging the sale of defective computers. Court granted summary judgment to our client.
- Obtained the dismissal of consumer class actions in New Jersey and Illinois alleging that a large restaurant chain violated state consumer protection laws.
- National science counsel to a pharmaceutical company in multidistrict litigation involving 6,000 plaintiffs and associated state court cases. Obtained favorable scientific evidence rulings leading to the exclusion of opinions from six of the plaintiff's expert witnesses in three different jurisdictions.
- Coordinating counsel for a pharmaceutical company in cases alleging death caused by narcotic medication.
- Counsel to an international beverage company in class actions involving alleged false advertising and exposure to benzene in soft drinks.
- Science counsel to a large petroleum corporation in a successful challenge to the plaintiffs’ expert witness in a suit alleging that plaintiffs developed cancer from exposure to ionizing radiation.
- Counsel to a Fortune 50 computer company in purported nationwide class action pending in New York challenging billing and collection practices. Following discovery, Plaintiff agreed to dismiss all class-related claims and case resolved with favorable settlement of named plaintiff’s claim.