Mitch is a State Bar Certified Family Law Specialist. Over the course of his thirty years practicing family law, the majority of his work has been in high conflict, complex domestic relations cases. He has helped high net worth clients address such issues as business and professional practice valuation, commingling of separate and community property, concealment of transactions either during the marriage or the divorce proceedings, attempted sales of businesses during dissolution and transfers of assets without consideration. Included in his area of expertise is presenting claims in determination or modification of spousal maintenance especially when the spouses do not have earning potential parity. In addition, Mitch has negotiated and drafted both pre and post marital agreements and has assisted clients in the enforcement of premarital agreements during divorce proceedings. He has represented parents when determining rights of decision-making, custody, and parenting time in cases involving complexities resulting from infidelity, substance abuse, sexual addiction, special needs and challenged children.
Mitch is a strong proponent of helping clients “opt out” of the judicial system by attempting resolution of issues through alternative means. Often opting out is the strategy that best suits his goal of maximizing the probability that each of his clients obtain a favorable outcome in his or her family law proceeding given their circumstances. Mitch is licensed to practice in Arizona and California. More
Education and Bar Admissions
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, 1982.
- B.A., Arizona State University, 1979.
- Arizona, 1983
- California, 1982
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Awards and Recognition
- "Best Lawyers in America" in the publication Best Lawyers
- Southwest Super Lawyer, every year since 2009
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- "Top 10 Family Law Lawyer" by Arizona Business Magazine
- Certified as a Family Law Specialist by the State Bar of Arizona
- Board Member of the Executive Council of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Arizona
- Appointed to serve as Judge Pro Tempore in the Maricopa County Superior Courts
- Former Member of Domestic Relations Custody Study Group until the group disbanded
- Previously served on the Children's Behavioral Health Council by appointment from the President of the State Sentate
- Particularly adept at critically analyzing and persuasively presenting information concerning business valuations and the cross-examination of business valuation experts.
- Experienced in high-conflict divorces with substantial assets.
- Utilizes understanding of business, finances, accounting, and commercial litigation to assist high-income and high net-worth families divide large and often complex estates.
- Clients include business people, attorneys, dentists, doctors, retailers, real estate owners, and investors.
- Encourages clients to consider alternative dispute resolution, including mediation, arbitration, and other non-traditional methods.