Mike Raiff is a partner in Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher’s Dallas office. He has a wide range of litigation experience and has tried numerous cases (both jury trials and bench trials). In addition to his trial practice, Mr. Raiff has argued numerous cases before appellate courts, including Texas appellate courts and several United States Circuit courts. Prior to joining Gibson Dunn in 2011, Mr. Raiff was a partner at the firm of Vinson & Elkins.
Mr. Raiff has represented clients in various cases involving class actions, shareholder derivative actions, contract disputes, merger and acquisition litigation, antitrust claims, environmental disputes, tortious interference claims, infrastructure and public finance disputes, partnership disputes, misappropriation claims, commercial fraud, civil conspiracy, securities fraud, and health care disputes. Additionally, Mr. Raiff has spent a portion of his time representing media and entertainment clients in commercial cases and media law cases.
Mr. Raiff received his J.D. in 1992 with high honors from The University of Texas School of Law, where he served as Associate Editor of the Texas Law Review and was Grand Chancellor (Spring 1991) and Order of the Coif. He also holds a B.B.A. with highest honors from The University of Texas. Following law school, he served as a Judicial Clerk for The Honorable Thomas M. Reavley, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (1992 - 1993).
Mr. Raiff was admitted to practice in Texas in 1992. He is currently admitted in all Texas courts; U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Fifth, and Ninth Circuits; U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas.
- Represented Blockbuster for many years as its National Counsel in dozens of class actions pending across the country
- Obtained multiple dismissal orders and rulings enforcing individual arbitration in multiple class actions
- Defended many class actions alleging claims under data-privacy-and-security statutes, such as the Video Privacy Protection Act, the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and the Fair and Accurate Transactions Act
- Obtained approval and coordinated nationwide class settlements
Merger & Acquisition Litigation, Derivative Actions, and Securities Litigation
- Defended companies, directors, and officers in securities and fiduciary duty cases relating to mergers and acquisitions
- Represented buyers and sellers in litigation and arbitrations involving disputes surrounding acquisitions, including cases involving claims for breach of representations and warranties and claims for fraud
- Tried several cases (jury and bench trials) involving claims for breach of fiduciary duties, securities fraud, and breach of representations and warranties
- Defended multiple hospitals in antitrust cases
- Represented national franchisor in litigation with its largest franchisee
- Represented several clients in case involving business torts, including tortious interference claims, breach of fiduciary duty claims, fraud claims, misappropriation claims, and conspiracy claims
Infrastructure, Development and Public Finance Litigation
- Represented wide-range of clients in litigation and arbitrations involving disputes surrounding development projects and infrastructure projects
- Obtained numerous favorable judgments representing various governmental entities in public law disputes, including representing Dallas Independent School District, City of Dallas, City of Arlington, City of Mansfield, City of Irving, Dallas Area Rapid Transit, Upper Trinity Water District, and City of Grapevine
- Represented clients in several lawsuits relating to Dallas Love Field and the Wright Amendment
- Represented clients in real estate disputes, including representing developer in litigation involving Las Vegas hotel project and representing cities in litigation over parks
- Representing energy companies in cases brought by the Sierra Club alleging violations of the Clean Air Act
- Representing energy companies in a federal environmental enforcement case involving the New Source Review provisions of the Clean Air Act
- Obtained numerous summary judgments, dismissal orders, and favorable appellate decisions in defamation and invasion-of-privacy lawsuits for various media clients, including CBS Broadcasting, The New York Times, KTVT-TV, KEYE-TV, The Dallas Morning News, Belo, WFAA-TV, Infinity, Viacom, radio stations, and foreign publishers
- Part of trial team that defended CBS in a jury trial in El Paso concerning a 60 Minutes report
- Represented several media clients in fighting trial and grand jury subpoenas and protecting reporters’ materials and outtakes
- Represented various entertainment clients in numerous disputes involving television shows, movies, music videos, and distribution rights, including MTV Networks, Paramount, DEJ, Blockbuster, Showtime, and Walker Texas Ranger
- Represented entertainment clients in movie disputes, including movies Matador, Crash, and Monster