Find Lawyers in St. Petersburg, Florida for Litigation - Construction
Litigation - Construction - St. Petersburg, FloridaAbout this Practice Area
Litigation - Construction Definition
Construction lawsuits include a variety of claims, although most are grounded in breach of contract, negligence, and/or professional negligence. Construction litigation attorneys typically prosecute or defend claims for:
- professional negligence of design professionals (both architects and engineers)
- claims for defective workmanship (contractors and subcontractors)
- claims for defective products (material suppliers)
- claims for delay (caused by the owner, the owner’s representative(s), the contractor, and/or a subcontractor)
- payment claims (both claims for payment of sums promised in the construction contract and claims for the payment of additional sums due to changes in the scope of the work)
- the enforcement of mechanic’s liens (contractors, subcontractors, and material suppliers)
- claims made against payment bonds issued by surety companies to assure the payment of sums due subcontractors and others
- claims made against performance bonds issued by surety companies to assure completion of the work
Construction claims are litigated in a variety of forums and can be litigated in federal and state courts. Additionally, federal and state courts of claim or claims commissions may have exclusive jurisdiction over government projects. Arbitration is often the required forum for private projects because construction contracts typically require mandatory arbitration, administered by a recognized provider such as the American Arbitration Association, pursuant to specific rules promulgated by the arbitration service provider. Many construction contracts also require some form of mandatory mediation as an express precondition to the institution of litigation or arbitration.
Recognition by Best Lawyers is based entirely on peer review. Our methodology is designed to capture, as accurately as possible, the consensus opinion of leading lawyers about the professional abilities of their colleagues within the same geographical area and legal practice area.
Best Lawyers employs a sophisticated, conscientious, rational, and transparent survey process designed to elicit meaningful and substantive evaluations of the quality of legal services. Our belief has always been that the quality of a peer review survey is directly related to the quality of the voters.
Enhancing Consumer Safety Through Winning Jury Trials and Substantial Settlements
by Justin Smulison