Recognized since 1989
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
Billy has maintained an active civil litigation practice throughout his career. He has tried literally hundreds of wide-ranging cases to conclusion in state and federal courts across South Carolina. Likewise, he has accumulated over thirty reported decisions published by the South Carolina Court of Appeals, the South Carolina Supreme Court, and the Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
In recognition of his work as a trial lawyer, Billy was inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers in 1992 and was State Chair from 1998-2000. He is also a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Currently, Billy’s practice focuses on medical malpractice defense, product liability, and governmental defense in state and federal courts throughout South Carolina. Likewise, he calls upon his vast experience as a trial lawyer in serving as a certified mediator in state and federal court.
Representative Reported Cases:
- Mitchem v. Fiske-Carter Const. Co., 278 S.C. 180, 181, 293 S.E.2d 701, 701 (1982).
- Macmurphy v. S. Carolina Dep't of Highways & Pub. Transp., 295 S.C. 49, 50, 367 S.E.2d 150, 151 (1988).
- Allen E. by Cheek v. Spartanburg Cnty. Dep't of Soc. Servs., 849 F.2d 604 (4th Cir. 1988).
- Hansen v. DHL Labs., Inc., 316 S.C. 505, 507, 450 S.E.2d 624, 625 (Ct. App. 1994) cert. granted, decision aff'd, 319 S.C. 79, 459 S.E.2d 850 (1995).
- Sims v. Amisub of S. Carolina, Inc., 408 S.C. 202, 205, 758 S.E.2d 187, 189 (Ct. App. 2014), reh'g denied (May 19, 2014), cert. granted (Nov. 19, 2014).
Contact & Links
- 101 West Saint John Street, Suite 200
P.O. Box 1897
Spartanburg, SC 29304
- South Carolina, South Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina, United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
- South Carolina, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- American Board of Trial Advocates - -
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference - Permanent Member
- South Carolina Bar Association - -
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Assocation - -
- United States District Court
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, Greenville (2014)
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, Greenville (2012)
- Medical Malpractice Law, Greenville (2010)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Automobile Collision
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
Certified MediatorCertfied Mediator
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.