Recognized since 2018
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Land Use and Zoning Law
Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
William “Bill” R. Scherer cofounded the firm in 1974 with his late partner Rex Conrad. Over the past almost four decades, Mr. Scherer has grown Conrad & Scherer into one of Florida’s leading law firms and has expanded the firm’s presence with offices in New York, New York, Brevard, North Carolina, and Quito, Ecuador.
AV® Preeminent™ Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® since 1987, Mr. Scherer is a seasoned trial attorney. He has litigated over 100 trials in both jury and non-jury cases before state, appellate, and federal courts. Mr. Scherer’s cases and legal accomplishments have received coverage by major television networks such as CNN, CNBC, MSNBC and FNN and national and local newspapers such as The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, South Florida Business Journal, the Daily Business Review, the Sun-Sentinel and the Miami Herald.
Mr. Scherer was lead counsel for victims of the infamous multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme orchestrated by Scott Rothstein. Notably, Mr. Scherer led his complex litigation team and achieved an historic settlement returning to investors what is said to be the highest percentages of recovery for victims of a Ponzi scheme. News outlets described the settlement as a “huge victory” and a “landmark” lawsuit.
In 2005, Mr. Scherer served as plaintiff’s counsel in a high-profile commercial lawsuit involving the sale of a health insurance company and obtained, by jury verdict, one of the largest damage awards in Broward County history.
During the historical 2000 Presidential Election Litigation in Florida, Mr. Scherer led a team of attorneys representing President George W. Bush and personally represented the President in the Broward County recount.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Scherer has also served as counsel to various government entities. From 1988 to 2005, Mr. Scherer served as General Counsel to the North Broward Hospital District, one of the largest public health care providers in the nation, with four hospitals and nine specialized treatment centers. As General Counsel for the Hospital District, he supervised teams of legal experts in healthcare and malpractice law, and was responsible for all trials and legal actions taken by or against the Hospital District.
Mr. Scherer began his legal career as a law clerk to the Indiana Supreme Court and the Honorable Charles Fulton, Former Chief of the United States District Court for the South District of Florida.
Contact & Links
- 633 South Federal Highway, Eighth Floor
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
- Indiana University, Juris Doctor, magna cum laude , graduated 1973
- Franklin College, Bachelor of Science, graduated 1969
- Florida, 1973
- Indiana, 1973
- District of Columbia, 2010
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado, 2014
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, 1974
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
- Land Use and Zoning Law
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, since 1987
- Recognized as a Best Lawyer in Commercial Litigation for The Best Lawyers in America©, 2018 to 2021
- Listed in South Florida Legal Guide, “Top Lawyers”, 2006-2021
- Listed in Super Lawyers® “Super Lawyer”, 2006-2018, 2020-2021
- Listed in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, “Florida Legal Elite”, 2004, 2010, 2014 and 2020
- Recognized as an “Apogee Award Honoree” by South Florida Business & Wealth, 2020
- Listed in Fort Lauderdale Illustrated Magazine, “Top Lawyer”, 2020
- Recognized as an “Ultimate CEO” by the South Florida Business Journal, 2013
- Listed as one of the “FACES of Fort Lauderdale” by Fort Lauderdale Illustrated Magazine, 2019-2020
- Recognized as “Most Effective Lawyer” by the Daily Business Review, 2005 and 2012
- Listed in VerdictSearch’s, “Top 100 Verdicts of 2005”, 2005
- Profiled as a “Power Broker” by the Sun-Sentinel Newspaper, 2002
- Listed as one of “The 50 Most Powerful People in Broward County” by Gold Coast Magazine, May/June 2002
- Profiled as a “Political Power Broker” by Gold Coast Magazine, April 2002
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.