William Symmes represents clients in Labor & Employment related litigation and business matters. He has successfully defended many of the firm’s clients in an array of employment matters, including harassment, discrimination and retaliation, breach of contract, and wage and hour. William also represents clients in arbitrations under Collective Bargaining Agreements and before the National Labor Relations Board. In connection with many of these matters, William has gained particular experience in drafting, reviewing and litigating executive contracts, covenants not to compete, confidentiality and non-disclosure, non-use agreements.
William also has represented a number of clients in shareholder disputes and D & O liability matters. William often uses his litigation experience to frequently advise clients in structuring transactions to minimize the risk of costly disputes and litigation.
- Licensed to practice in Washington, Idaho and Oregon
- Joined Witherspoon Kelley in 1994
- Best Lawyers USA Today Business Edition – Employment Litigation, Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2015
- Best Lawyers in America, 2015 "Lawyer of the Year" for the Spokane region.
- Top Lawyers – Spokane & Coeur d’Alene Living, 2010-2014
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, 2000-2014
- Superb Rating (No. 10) Avvo, 2010 to 2014
- Davis v. Fred’s Appliance, 171 Wn. App 348 (2012) (Affirmed summary judgment: No cause of action exists for perceived sexual orientation discrimination.)
- Cornwell v. Roses & More, 166 Wn. App. 1004 (2012) (Affirmed in part, reversed in part summary judgment on behalf of employer.)
- Rimov v. Schultz, 162 Wn. App. 274 (2011) (Successful appeal concerning the scope and enforceability of arbitration agreement.)
- Khan v. Spokane Women’s Clinic (2009) (Successful defense verdict on counterclaim)
- Sterling Savings v. US, 80 Fed. Cl. 497 (2008) (Plaintiff’s verdict in a banking contract claim.)
- Dixson v. Empire Health Svc., Inc., 136 Wn. App. 1050 (2007) (Employment/ERISA)
- Keystone Masonry, Inc. v. Garco Construction, Inc., 135 Wn. App. 927 (2006) (Construction)
- Sterling Savings v. U.S., 57 Fed cl. 234 (2003) (Complex commercial)
- Sterling Savings v. U.S., 57 Fed. cl. 445 (2003) (Complex commercial)
- Sterling Savings v. U.S., 53 Fed. cl. 599 (2002) (Complex commercial)
- Baker v. Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corp., 951 F. Supp 953 (E.D.Wa 1996) (Employment)