Recognized since 2001
Criminal Defense: White-Collar
Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law
Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants
William J. Murphy is held in high esteem by his clients, some of whom have described him as a “brilliant tactician” with a clear command of financial matters, while others have remarked on his “calmness that exudes confidence and works exceptionally well in the courtroom.
An experienced trial lawyer, Bill has tried civil and criminal cases to verdict in state and federal courts, represented clients in commercial arbitration, and argued numerous appeals in courts around the country.Bill recently was part of the Zuckerman trial team that successfully defended Gregory Craig in a high profile federal false statements case. After a three-week trial, the jury deliberated for only three hours before returning its not guilty verdict.
Throughout a long career at the bar, Bill has represented witnesses and targets of grand jury investigations, defended clients investigated by the SEC and other federal enforcement agencies, and represented individuals in congressional investigations.
Bill was inducted as a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers in 2002. He previously served as Chair of that organization’s Maryland State Committee and in 2018 Bill completed a four-year term on the College’s governing Board of Regents, where he represented Maryland and the District of Columbia.
Bill has been entrusted by many local, regional, and national law firms with the defense of professional malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty claims filed against those firms. He also has been qualified as an expert witness in cases involving the standard of care and the ethical obligations of lawyers and has testified in several courts on the reasonableness of attorney’s fee awards.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.zuckerman.com/people/william-j-murphy
- 100 East Pratt Street, Suite 2440
Baltimore, MD 21202-1031
- University of Pennsylvania , J.D., graduated 1978
- Saint Joseph's University, graduated 1975
- United States, Maryland
- United States, District of Columbia
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Past Chair, Maryland State Committee
- United States Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Appellate Practice, Baltimore (2023)
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Baltimore (2023)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, Baltimore (2020)
- Appellate Practice, Baltimore (2019)
- Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants, Baltimore (2017)
- Appellate Practice, Baltimore (2016)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, Baltimore (2012)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Appellate Practice
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law
- Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Commercial Disputes
- Complex Litigation
- Professional Malpractice
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
- 2011 Daniel M. Gribbon Award from US District Court in DC for Pro Bono Advocacy
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.