Recognized since 2019
Washington, District of Columbia
Timothy J. Cooney possesses extensive experience in the representation of wireless, wireline and satellite carriers, as well as broadcasters. With 30 years of legal experience in telecommunications, mass media and administrative law, Mr. Cooney's expertise encompasses most areas of common carrier and private carrier telecommunications, including universal service fund (USF), transfer of control, and foreign ownership (including Team Telecom) issues.
In addition to counseling carriers and manufacturers on FCC regulations including hearing aid compatibility requirements, he has represented a wide range of end users in their negotiations with carriers for satellite transponder leases, terrestrial capacity contracts, and indefeasible rights of use (IRU) agreements. He also advises equipment manufacturers on FCC regulations governing equipment authorization, marketing and importation; and he counsels TV stations on closed captioning, Children’s TV, enhanced underwriting and other broadcast issues. In addition, he represents clients in certification, rulemaking and enforcement proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission as well as state regulatory bodies. He has successfully defended carriers in investigations by the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau and negotiated numerous consent decrees. Mr. Cooney also advises non-common carriers, information service providers and system integrators on the impact of FCC regulation of their business, including maintaining their status as less regulated entities.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.wbklaw.com/our-team/Timothy-Cooney
- 1800 M Street, NW, Suite 800-N
Washington, DC 20036
- Georgetown University , JD, graduated 1979
- Georgetown University, BA, graduated 1975
- District of Columbia, 1980
- Illinois, 1979
- Federal Communications Bar Association - Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Communications Law
- Recipient, Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Broadband & IP-Enabled Services
- Communications & Video Accessibility
- International & Satellite Communications
- Internet of Things
- Media Content & Distribution
- Network & Consumer Equipment
- Wired Communications
- Wireless Communications
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.