Tim is a Partner in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group, where he practises in commercial litigation across a range of industries including mining and resources, financial services, intellectual property, IT infrastructure and government.
He has practised in both Australia and the United Kingdom, and is particularly experienced in dealing with large-scale litigation. He is known for providing highly practical and strategic advice to his clients.
Tim has a particular interest in the investigation and prosecution of fraud related matters. He also has extensive experience in conducting the defence of regulatory proceedings, as well as the independent investigation of Crime & Corruption Commission (previously, the Crime & Misconduct Commission) complaints.
In addition to conducting litigation in the Supreme and Federal Courts in all jurisdictions across Australia, Tim has acted in numerous arbitrations both in Australia and overseas.
A strong believer in the value of alternative dispute resolution (including mediation, and expert determination), Tim also serves as a member of the Queensland Law Society’s ADR Committee.
Major recent litigation matters Tim has acted in include:
- defending a listed mining company in the Federal Court regarding a failed joint venture
- defending a software developer in a major copyright dispute
- representing a Government Owned Corporation in an electricity pricing dispute
- acting for the Hyatt Corporation in a dispute with Clive Palmer relating to the Coolum Resort, including obtaining urgent injunctive relief
- acting for the owner of a major city shopping centre in a large-scale dispute with an investor
- acting for an airport corporation in a contractual dispute with an IT supplier, involving the threat of denial of service and injunctive relief
- conducting independent investigation of CCC complaints on behalf of government authorities, and
- investigation and prosecution of fraud issues for a major construction contractor.