Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, P.L.C.
Recognized since 2001
Criminal Defense: General Practice
Criminal Defense: White-Collar
Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law
Litigation - Environmental
Litigation - Securities
Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
Litigation Experience: Has represented both individual and corporate clients in such diverse criminal matters as income tax evasion; criminal antitrust investigations; Medicaid-Medicare, Blue Cross-Blue Shield and healthcare fraud; Food & Drug Administration investigations; criminal OSHA, MIOSHA and state/federal environmental matters; Customs violations; bankruptcy fraud; mail and wire fraud; insurance fraud; mortgage fraud; bank fraud and embezzlement; defense contractor fraud; national security matters; foreign corrupt practice allegations; securities fraud and matters with the SEC; public corruption; controlled substance and conspiracy matters; federal election law violations; immigration matters, police corruption and misconduct and RICO violations; experienced in conducting internal corporate audits, independent Audit Committee reviews and counseling concerning corporate compliance programs; also experienced in handling complex civil litigation, intellectual property litigation; ERISA litigation; environmental litigation; labor and employment litigation and class action securities litigation; has represented both attorneys and judges in a variety of proceedings alleging malpractice, professional or public misconduct.
Current Legal Position: Co-Practice Group Leader and Co-Chair of Miller Canfield’s White-Collar Criminal Defense Group. Joined Miller Canfield in November 2004.
Prior Legal Experience: Joined Miro Weiner & Kramer (formerly known as Miro Miro & Weiner) in May of 1982 as an Associate in the Litigation Department; Partner/Shareholder from 1984 through October, 2004.
Joined the United States Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Michigan in 1978 as an Assistant United States Attorney and was assigned to the Controlled Substances Unit until December 1980. Thereafter served as Assistant Chief of the Criminal Division for the office from January, 1981 until April 1982
Served as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for Oakland County under L. Brooks Patterson from August, 1975 until January 1978.
Teaching Experience: Extensive experience as a teacher and instructor of trial advocacy. Experience includes teaching for one of the preeminent trial advocacy programs in the United States, The National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA), as well as the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) in, The Rutter Group, a West Publishing Affiliate and the Cooley School of Law. Specific teaching experience includes:
· Adjunct Professor teaching Evidence Thomas Cooley Law School, 2005 – 2013.
· Instructor, National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA), Midwest Regional, 1988 –present.
· University of Detroit Mercy Inn of Court, 1996-present.
. Instructor, National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA), National Session/40th Anniversary 2011.
· Trial Advocacy Skills Workshop, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 1988 - 2003.
· Deposition Skills Workshop, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 1993.
· Litigation Instructor, Federal Bar Association (Eastern District of Michigan), Trial Advocacy Workshop, 1986 - present.
· Litigation Instructor, Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute, Washington,D.C., 1979-1981.
. Oakland County Bar Association Inn of Court, Founding Member and currently Emeritus Member, 2004-present.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.millercanfield.com/TomCranmer
- 840 West Long Lake Road, Suite 150
Troy, MI 48098
- Ohio Northern University, J.D., graduated 1975
- Ohio Northern University, graduated 1975
- Michigan, State Bar of Michigan
- Federal Bar Association - Past President
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Michigan State Bar Foundation - Board of Trustees
- Oakland County Bar Foundation - Trustee
- American Arbitration Association - Hearing Panel Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates - Past President
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Appellate Defender Commission - Chairperson
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- International Society of Barristers - Fellow and Past President
- Litigation Counsel of America - Fellow
- State Bar of Michigan - Past President
- The National Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School - Board of Directors
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Criminal Defense: General Practice, Troy (2023)
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Troy (2021)
- Litigation - Securities, Troy (2016)
- Criminal Defense: General Practice, Detroit (2013)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, Detroit (2009)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Litigation - Securities
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Criminal Defense: General Practice
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Litigation - Environmental
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Commercial Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Civil and Criminal
- Civil Litigation
- Complex Litigation
- Criminal Investigations
- Environmental Crimes
- Grand Jury
- Internal Investigations
- SEC Enforcement
- Securities Fraud
- State and Federal
- Violent and Nonviolent Crimes
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Listed in DBusiness Magazine, Top Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, Non-White-Collar and White-Collar and White-Collar Criminal Defense 2011-present.
- Recipient of Oakland County Bar Association's Distinguished Service Award, 1996.
- Recipient of Who's Who Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement, Award, 2018.
- Listed in Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers to Business in the highest category (Band 1) 2004-present; White Collar Crime & Government Investigations, 2008-present.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the categories of Bet-the-Company Litigation, White Collar Criminal Defense, Non-White Collar Criminal Defense, Commercial Litigation Securities Litigation, Environmental Litigation and Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law.
- Named as one of Michigan’s Top Ten lawyers in every edition of Michigan Super Lawyers. Third highest point getter in 2007, 2015, 2017 and 2020. The first or second highest rated attorney in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2018.
- Named as one of the Lawyers of the Year for 2007 and selected Lawyer of the Year in 2014 by Michigan Lawyers Weekly .
- Named by The Best Lawyers in America as the Detroit area “Bet-the-Company” Lawyer of the Year, 2009; “Criminal Defense Non-White Collar” Lawyer of the Year, 2013; 2016 Securities Lawyer of the Year; and 2021 White-Collar Lawyer of the Year.
- Benchmark Litigation, Guide to America's Leading Litigation Firm and Attorneys, 2008-present.
- Lawdragon 500, 2014-2015.
- Recipient of the 2018 Julian Abele Cook, Jr.-Bernard A. Friedman FBA Civility Award.
- Recipient of the 2018 Western Michigan University-Cooley Law School Integrity in the Community Award.
- Recipient of the American Board of Trial Advocates, Detroit Chapter, Civility Award, 2017.
- Recipient of the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Excellence in Defense Award, 2015.
- Recipient of the Oakland County Bar Association, Professionalism Award, 2018.
- State Bar of Michigan Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2020.
- Named as the Practitioner of the Year for 2008 by the Oakland County Republican Party.
- Recipient of the Federal Bar Association's Leonard R. Gilman Award presented to an Outstanding Practitioner of Criminal Law, 1995.
- Recipient, Drug Enforcement Administration Award for Outstanding Contributions in the Field of Drug Law Enforcement, 1981.
- Recipient, United States Department of Justice Special Achievement Award, 1980.
- Selected in 2008 as one of Michigan Ten Power Lawyers by Crain's Detroit Business.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.