Recognized since 1993
Employment Law - Management
Labor Law - Management
Litigation - Labor and Employment
Thomas P. Murphy is a Partner in the Washington, D.C. Region office of Jackson Lewis, P.C. His practice focuses on representing employers in workplace law matters, including preventive advice and counseling.
Mr. Murphy has tried more than 65 jury trials in the past 38 years as a federal prosecutor and in private practice. In addition, he routinely advises clients on the labor and employment aspects of doing business in ther countries, a subject on which he frequently speaks and writes.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Murphy was an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Columbia where he served in the Chronic Offender Unit. He was the recipient of the US Department of Justice's Special Achievenemt Award for his successful prosecution of a number of cases of notoriety.
For four years, Mr. Murphy served as a Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.bestlawyers.com/lawyers/thomas-p-murphy/19061
- E-mail: Thomas.Murphy@jacksonlewis.com
- 10701 Parkridge Boulevard, Suite 300
Reston, VA 20191
- Vermont Law School , JD, graduated 1978
- Clarkson University, BS, graduated 1974
- New York, 1978
- Maryland, 1988
- Virginia, 1989
- District of Columbia, 1981
- American Bar Association, Section of Labor and Employment Law, International Labor and Employment Law Committee and Practice and Procedure Under the NLRA Committee - Member
- American Employment Law Council (2010-present) - Member
- Arlington Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors (1989-1991; 1996-2005) - Board Member
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers (2010-present) - Fellow
- District of Columbia Bar, Board on Professional Responsibility, Hearing Committee Ten (1989-1999) - Chair
- Leadership Arlington, Class of 2000 - Member
- Prince George's County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section (1991-1993) - Chair
- Virginia CLE, Employment Law CLE Planning Committee (1986-present) - Chair (2007-2009)
- Virginia Law Foundation's Committee on Legal Education (2009-present) - Member
- U.S. Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- US District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- US District Court for the District of Maryland
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Employment Law - Management, Washington, DC (2015)
- Labor Law - Management, Washington, DC (2013)
- Employment Law - Management, Washington, DC (2012)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Employment Law - Management
- Labor Law - Management
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.