Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Litigation - Insurance, St. Louis (2017)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Insurance Law
- Litigation - Insurance
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
Tell us a little bit about your practice and what makes it unique.
- A substantial part of my practice is focused on defending lawyers in legal malpractice cases and bar complaints. I guess you can say I am a, “lawyer’s lawyer.”
What common questions are you asked by clients, and what are your answers?
- The most common question I am asked by my clients is, “How are you going to defend my case.” My answer depends on the facts and law of each case. I strive to determine as early as possible whether a case should be tried or settled and so advise my client.
Describe one of your most interesting or memorable cases in the past year.
- I defended a legal malpractice case wherein it was alleged that in one case my lawyer allegedly made an admission against his client’s interest that allegedly resulted in the client being indicted in federal court for mortgage fraud. I obtained summary judgment for my client in the legal malpractice case. We anticipate affirmance in the appeal which is pending.
What is most challenging about your area(s) of expertise?
- Sometimes the complexities of the underlying matter in a legal malpractice case can be very challenging.
Were there any particular inspirations (people or events) that spurred your interest in your practice area(s)?
- My dad was a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers and he influenced my decision to be a lawyer. Plus, I like the competition.
What other interests do you have?
- Being an athlete in high school and college I still have an interest in athletics, mostly golf. I enjoy golf trips with my twenty-eight year old son when he and I can find time.
Anything else you’d like to share?
- Remember to stay humble.