Recognized in:Commercial LitigationLitigation - Intellectual Property...
Law School:University of North Carolina School of Law
Location:420 South Orange Avenue, Suite 1200Orlando, FL 32801
- University of North Carolina School of Law, JD, graduated 1988
- Rollins College, BA, cum laude, graduated 1985
- Florida, The Florida Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- American Bar Association, Nationwide Annual State Class Action Law Survey - Supervising Editor and Coordinating Editor
- American Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Coalition for the Homeless of Central Florida, Board of Directors (2013-2019) - Executive Committee (2016-2019)
- Defense Research Institute - Member
- Defense Research Institute - Member
- Federal Bar Association, Orlando Chapter - Past President, 2003-2005
- Leadership Orlando, Class of 1999 - Graduate
- Leadership Winter Park - Class XI
- Legal Aid Society of the Orange County Bar Association, Guardian Ad Litem Program - Volunteer
- Litigation Counsel of America - Fellow
- Middle District of Florida 2003-2005, Bench and Bar Committee - Member
- Middle District of Florida, Orlando Division 2003-2005, Federal Judicial Relations Committee - Chairman
- National Federal Bar Association, Eleventh Circuit - Past Vice-President, 2006-2008
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy's Advanced Advocates Program, Washington DC - Member
- NITA Robert F. Hanley Advanced Trial Skills Program in Boulder, Colorado - Graduate
- Orange County Bar Association - Member
- St. Michael's Episcopal Church, New Rector Search Committee (2014-2015) - Vestry Member (2016-2019)
- The Florida Bar, Trial Lawyers and Business Law Sections - Member
- The George C. Young First Central Florida American Inn of Court - Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Real Estate Law
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rated since 1998
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite 2009, Listed for Commercial Litigation
- Super Lawyers Magazine 2006-2016, Listed in Florida for Business Litigation
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Board Certified in Business Litigation since 2005, The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education
Areas of Expertise:
- Class Actions
- Complex Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Representation of litigants in more than 80 federal and/or diversity cases in Florida federal courts, including more than 20 patent infringement and other significant intellectual property claims.
- Representation of litigants in more than 40 appeals in Florida State and Federal Appellate Courts.
- Representation of litigants in more than 50 Orange County Florida Business Court cases and the defense of 20 class action cases.
- Representation of fifty percent owners of deadlocked limited liability companies in insurance agency business in a breach of duty dispute with co-owners that was resolved through expeditious settlement of multiple lawsuits.
- Representation of statewide business in constitutional challenge which invalidated ordinance on impairment of contract grounds at trial and on appeal.
- Representation of client in the defense of a Florida Labor Pool Act class action brought by national plaintiffs firm, and also handled Fourth DCA and Florida Supreme Court statutory construction appeal.
- Representation of client in the defense of a class certification in a $52 million Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act (ILSA) case that sought subdivision-wide rescission and damages relief after bench trial.
- Representation of developer in defense of state court class action brought by homeowners in subdivisions built on formerly used defense site known as Pine Castle Jeep Range.
- Representation of developer in state court certiorari challenge involving a building permit moratorium, and in a federal court CERCLA lawsuit, to recover response costs from the United States Department of Defense that resulted from developer initiated clean-up of munitions and ordnance on Formerly Used Defense Site known as Pinecastle Jeep Range.
- Representation of developer in defense of $11 million alleged construction defect claim that included non-jury trial on counterclaim against homeowners association for violation of HOA Act.
- Representation of client in the negotiation of a nationwide Federal Consumer Leasing Act class action settlement for an auto maker that involved state law disclosure violation claims for 650,000 class members who received direct mail notice, including challenge from objector appeal.
- Representation of client and the advisor of a hotel REIT, and several other key defendants, in the defense of a consolidated federal securities class action challenging billions of dollars in transactions over a multiyear period.
- Representation as co-counsel for partners of limited partnerships in state court lawsuit involving a complex reverse merger transaction of restaurant REITs, and 45,000 partner class actions for breach of fiduciary duty.
- Representation of a cruise line in the defense of a nationwide deceptive and unfair trade practices claim involving alleged padding and fraudulent billing of port charges.
- Representation of client in the defense of a municipality in threatened class action alleging intentional wrongdoing concerning operation of Occupational Medical Clinic.
- Representation involving the defense of general partners of 18 income fund limited partnerships comprised of 42,000 limited partners, in a putative class action which challenged the proposed roll-up transaction into an already registered public company that was proposed to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Representation of client in a complex patent ownership and inventorship dispute that encompassed two federal and one state court lawsuit that culminated in a two week liability phase jury trial
- Representation of chemical manufacturing company client in defense of patent infringement jury trial that went to verdict, and in connection with post-trial evidentiary proceeding.
- Representation of professionals in pursuing million dollar claim against Community Redevelopment Agency, including post-judgment mandamus proceeding which led to settlement.
- Representation of a general partner of a lithotripsy medical partnership, in the defense of claimed Anti-Kickback Act violations by multiple limited partners.
- Representation of client in the defense of a long pending RICO and fraud action against individuals who founded a workers' compensation mutual insurance company in a suit for $30 million dollars that was premised on allegations of corporate looting and financial wrongdoing.
- Representation of attorney principal client in several multi-million dollar land trust related controversies including a lawsuit of a brokerage entity real estate commission that resulted in a commission being paid through settlement. Another matter involved the defense of a grievance proceeding alleging trust account misconduct.
- Representation of a factoring company in a multi-million dollar federal court lawsuit with a Fortune 500 account debtor in Federal Court, over actual and apparent authority and UCC issues. Genesis of dispute was that, unbeknownst to factor client, literally millions of factored invoices were for transactions that turned out to be fictitious.
- Representation of developer in defense of action brought by association which sought to enjoin multi-family development, purportedly based on Declaration of Restrictive Covenants. Handled action at trial level and on appeal, including prosecution of attorney's fee claim.
- Representation of client in a $20 million specific performance action against joint owners of a 450 acre parcel.
- Representation of a general partner of a hedge fund that was forced to liquidate positions due to portfolio manager misconduct.
- Representation of client, a Japanese-owned golf course company, in the defense of fraudulent transfer and proceedings supplementary brought in federal and state courts.
- Representation of clients in patent infringement and copyright infringement disputes relative to technology companies.
- Representation of developer defendants in a matter involving fraud, FDUTPA, ILSA anti-fraud, and misleading advertising claims brought in several cases by lot purchasers, followed by prosecution of attorney's fee shifting claims.
- Representation of guarantor in defense of $46 million claim that included $26 million Community Development District litigation.
- Representation of client in the defense of a flour manufacturer baker's asthma action brought on behalf of three groups of plaintiffs.
- Representation of plaintiffs and defendants in multi-million dollar breach of contract related tort litigation involving such matters as the defense of an Arab Sheik and related company.
- Representation involving the litigation of claims against insurance companies concerning policy coverage issues, as well as the prosecution and defense of telecommunication industry related software license and billing dispute cases.
- Representation of airline in defense of alleged inadequacy of merger consideration class action claims.
- Representation of commercial brokerage company in jury trial against land trust for significant real estate commission claim.
- Representation of nationwide technical vocational school in federal court lawsuit with student housing provider that involved the defense of a breach of contract claim with the successful defense that plaintiff had been properly terminated for its own contract breach.
- Representation of national retailer throughout Florida in the defense of consumer related federal and state statutory claims.
- Representation of client, a principal of a corporate general partner, in the defense of fraud claims which sought to impose liability for a million dollar indebtedness.
- Representation of 50% owner in disputes concerning management, operation, dissolution and winding up of four limited liability companies engaged in the billboard business in South Florida.
- Representation of landowner in the defense of claims, as well as prosecution of counter-claims, concerning a 150 acre borrow pit, including a 3 day trial resulting in a lack of standing disposition.
- Representation of personal representative that owned companies in prosecution of breach of fiduciary duty claims against corporate officer who engaged in self-dealing and ultra-vires transactions.
- Representation of worldwide electricity company as local counsel in the prosecution of a patent infringement lawsuit.
- Representation of medical device company as local counsel in the defense of consolidated patent infringement lawsuits.
- Representation as local counsel of technology company that succeeded to government contract and was then sued by displaced provider in both federal court for copyright infringement and in State Business Court for the usurpation of trade secrets.
601 West Fifth Street, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90071
1900 Sixteenth Street, Suite 1700
Denver, CO 80202
District of Columbia
District of Columbia
750 Ninth Street, NW, Suite 750
Washington, DC 20001
1875 NW Corporate Boulevard, Suite 275
Boca Raton, FL 33431
350 East Las Olas Boulevard, Suite 1600
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
50 North Laura Street, Suite 3100
Jacksonville, FL 32202
9128 Strada Place, Suite 10205
Naples, FL 34108
420 South Orange Avenue, Suite 1200
Orlando, FL 32801
251 Royal Palm Way, Suite 215
Palm Beach, FL 33480
106 East College Avenue, 12th Floor
Tallahassee, FL 32301
401 East Jackson Street, Suite 1700
Tampa, FL 33602
West Tower, Suite 1100
777 South Flagler Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
71 South Wacker Drive, 46th Floor
Chicago, IL 60606
Pan-American Life Center, Suite 2200
601 Poydras Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
1160 Town Center Drive, Suite 330
Las Vegas, NV 89144
666 Fifth Avenue, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10103
700 Lavaca Street, Suite 1400
Austin, TX 78701
2001 Ross Avenue, Suite 3600
Dallas, TX 75201
1300 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 2500
Houston, TX 77056
Weston Centre, Suite 2750
112 East Pecan Street
San Antonio, TX 78205
170 South Main Street, Suite 950
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
One South Pinckney Street, Suite 700
Madison, WI 53703