Recognized since 2019
Known for his extensive expertise in municipal and administrative law, Sylvain Bélair is regularly called upon to represent and defend his clients’ interests before various administrative bodies and courts of law.
In the field of municipal taxation, Sylvain Bélair has contested tax assessments for industrial complexes, commercial buildings, retirement homes, hotel complexes, golf courses and vacant land awaiting development. Two of his notable cases include the Olympic Stadium and the Palais des congrès de Montréal.
In the area of expropriation, he has acted on behalf of owners and renters in many expropriation cases, including those related to Highway 30, Technoparc Saint-Laurent and the Turcot Interchange. He has also taken on cases related to residential or commercial regrouping and industrial park creation and expansion. He currently represents multiple owners whose properties have been expropriated for the Réseau express métropolitain, the blue line and the Vaudreuil-Soulanges regional hospital projects. He also represents multiple clients seeking damages for disguised expropriation before the Superior Court or the Federal Court. He often contests deed transfer charges levied on property transactions and park service charges levied following cadastral changes and permit requests.
Sylvain Bélair has extensive experience with litigation arising from the interpretation and application of municipal zoning, subdivision and construction regulations under the Act Respecting Land Use Planning and Development. He assists developers by negotiating and drafting memorandums of understanding for land enhancement and development. He is very involved in the firm’s internal operations and has served in various administrative roles over the years, including as team lead and member of the board of directors.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Direct Phone Number: 514-878-3209
- Lawyer Page: https://www.dgchait.com/en/lawyers/sylvain-belair
- 800 René-Lévesque Boulevard West, 26th floor
Montréal, QC H3B 1X9
- University of Montreal, LL.L., graduated 1986
- Quebec, 1987
- Association des évaluateurs municipaux du Québec - Member
- Barreau du Québec - Lawyer
- Board of Trade of Metropolitain Montreal - Member of the Economic and Public Finance Committee
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Canadian Property Tax Association (CPTA) - Vice Chair of the Québec Chapter
- Urban Development Institute of Québec - Member
26 The Best Lawyers in Canada™ awards
3 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada™ awards
- Expropriation Law
- Municipal Law
- Land Use
- Best Lawyers in Canada® - (2019)
Chambers Canada Real Estate: Zoning and Land Use
- “Band 1” in Québec 2020 and 2021
- “Spotlight Table” in Québec 2019
- Municipal Law and Expropriation
- Property Assessment
- Real Estate Development
- Urban Planning
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.