Recognized since 2019
Costa Mesa, California
Commercial Finance Law
Steven Cardoza is a partner in the Finance and Bankruptcy Practice Group specializing in commercial finance law in the firm's Orange County office. Mr. Cardoza has served on the Firm's Executive Committee and as Chair of the Firm's Partner Compensation Committee.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Cardoza specializes in real property law, commercial law, secured and unsecured lending, equity investments and bankruptcy matters. His experience includes syndicated credits, senior and mezzanine debt financing, participating or "contingent" interest financing and loan originations for the commercial mortgaged-backed securities market. He has extensive experience representing banks, credit companies and other institutional investors negotiating and documenting secured transactions and equity investments in office buildings, retail centers, apartments, hotels and other income properties. In addition, Mr. Cardoza represents lenders and institutional investors in workouts, restructures and bankruptcies involving commercial mortgage loans and real estate investments.
- Represented GE Capital Real Estate in connection with $115 million loan to refinance a 535-unit apartment project in Aliso Viejo, CA.
- Represented U.S. Bank as Administrative Agent and Lead Arranger in connection with a $425 million syndicated unsecured borrowing base revolving credit facility to TRI Pointe Homes, Inc., one of the top 10 public homebuilders in the United States.
- Represented CIT Bank, N.A. in connection with a $116 million loan to finance the acquisition of four office properties in Arizona. Represented CIT Bank, N.A. as agent bank in connection with a $88 million syndicated loan to finance the acquisition of Jack London Square, a mixed-use (office and retail) project in Oakland, CA.
- Represented CIT Bank, N.A. in connection with a $98 million loan for the construction of a mixed-use (residential and retail) project in Los Angeles, CA.
- Represented GE Capital Real Estate as Administrative Agent and lead lender in connection with a $92 million syndicated credit facility to finance a 10-building suburban office park in the Los Angeles, CA.
- Represented GE Capital Real Estate as Administrative Agent and lender in connection with an $85 million syndicated loan to finance the acquisition of eleven select service hotels located in five states.
- Represented GE Capital Real Estate in the acquisition of the senior tranche of a $1.2 billion mortgage loan secured by a nationwide portfolio of 108 hotel properties.
- Represented GE Capital Real Estate as administrative agent and a co-lender in connection with the restructure of a $332 million loan secured by a portfolio of 11 multi-family housing projects in Florida.
- Represented GE Capital Real Estate as collateral agent and a co-lender in connection with the origination and subsequent restructure of a $188 million mortgage financing secured by the upper floors of a landmark office tower in Chicago.
- Represented GE Capital Real Estate as administrative agent and a co-lender for a new $85.5 million loan to finance the acquisition of 35 non-performing commercial real estate loans and six properties located in California, metropolitan New York, New Jersey, Nevada and Washington.
- Represented GE Capital Real Estate in connection with a $425 million equity investment in a joint venture formed to acquire and develop a national portfolio of industrial properties.
- Represented Bank of America in connection with a $45 million revolving credit and term working capital facility to a reorganized residential developer. Represented Bank of America in connection with debtor-in-possession financing to a residential developer.
- Represented Housing Capital Company as lender in connection with a revolving credit facility to construct a 320 unit single-family residential development in Washington State.
- Represented Housing Capital Company in connection with a $45 million revolving credit facility to develop 14 single-family residential and condominium projects. Represented national lender in documenting a $100 million revolving credit facility secured by a nationwide portfolio of self-storage properties.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.sheppardmullin.com/scardoza
- 650 Town Center Drive, Tenth Floor
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
- University of California Berkeley, M.B.A., graduated 1987
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law, J.D. , graduated 1987
- University of California Berkeley, B.S. , graduated 1983
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Commercial Finance Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.