Steve Humke serves as the chief managing partner of Ice Miller and is a senior corporate lawyer with extensive experience in negotiating, managing and completing complex business and financing transactions. Most of his clients are entrepreneurs, but he also represents several private equity firms and has played a role in many of the larger business transactions completed in Indiana during the past decade.
Many of his clients do not employ in-house counsel and Steve serves as the primary legal advisor to the board of directors and CEOs of these companies. He serves both as lead lawyer on issues involving commercial contracts, financing, corporate governance and acquisitions/joint ventures and manages the legal projects involving litigation, labor and employment matters and other issues outside his areas of substantive experience.
Steve advises his clients in obtaining financing through a variety of alternative funding sources, including equity capital, mezzanine capital, and senior loans. He has led a variety of transactions, ranging from relatively straightforward "friends and family" equity rounds and senior loan financings to larger equity raises with venture capital funds in amounts ranging from $2 million to $85 million, to multi-tiered equity and debt financings involving equity, senior debt and mezzanine debt tranches, to initial public offerings and Rule 144A debt placements. Steve has participated in approximately 40 venture capital financings, 12 IPO's, 4 144A transactions and 60 private equity or debt placements.
He also is an active mergers and acquisitions lawyer, with a particular focus on middle-market deals. He has led more than 100 completed transactions, representing the buyer about 50 percent of the time and the seller about 50 percent of the time. Approximately 40 percent of the transactions have involved private equity funds and the remaining 60 percent have involved strategic buyers. Transaction sizes have ranged from less than $50 million to $3.8 billion, with the majority being $100 million or less, and have involved companies in various industries including business services, consumer products, manufacturing, construction and building materials, agri-business, as well as software and technology.
Steve graduated summa cum laude from Duke University in 1981. He is a member of Phi Beta Kappa. Between college and law school he practiced as a certified public accountant. He graduated cum laude from the University of Chicago Law School in 1985. He spent the first seven years of his practice in Washington, D.C. where he spent the bulk of his time in New York City conference rooms negotiating, structuring and documenting large transactions. He returned to the Midwest in 1992 with the goal of becoming more involved in participating in the strategic decisions that drive transactions, not simply documenting them.
Steve has been selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America since 2006 and has been named to the Indiana Super Lawyers list each year since 2004. In 2007, he was profiled by Super Lawyers for his work on the Indiana Toll Road transaction, one of the first and largest public infrastructure transactions in U.S. highway history. In addition, he has been recognized by Chambers USA as one of the leading attorneys in corporate/mergers and acquisitions. In his free time he enjoys reading American history, about which he knows a good deal, and playing golf, about which he knows nothing. He is admitted to practice law in the state of Indiana and in Washington, D.C.