Steve Carlson is a shareholder in the Milwaukee office of von Briesen & Roper, s.c. He is a member of the Litigation & Risk Management Practice Group and a member of the firm’s cross-practice Manufacturing team. His practice focuses on aggressively, yet cost-effectively, protecting the interests of clients in the industrial and manufacturing sector. Steve also has a strong background representing clients in the health care, transportation, insurance and financial services industries.
Steve defends companies against product liability, asbestos, toxic tort, fire loss, workplace accident and other tort claims. He also handles both plaintiff and defense-side cases for companies in commercial and business disputes. Steve has extensive experience in state and federal courts in Wisconsin, Illinois and many other states across the nation. He represents clients in all phases of litigation from initial fact investigation and strategy to discovery, motion practice, mediation, arbitration, trial and appeal. Importantly, but less visibly, Steve also advises clients prior to litigation to help avert lawsuits. Steve also works collaboratively with the firm’s deep bench of Manufacturing attorneys who assist clients with intellectual property, OSHA, antitrust, environmental, tax and labor & employment issues.
Steve began his career in Chicago and he continues to devote a considerable amount of his practice to defending and prosecuting cases in Illinois for Wisconsin companies looking for experienced counsel a little closer to home.
- Defended and/or managed over 1,000 asbestos lawsuits against product manufacturers in jurisdictions throughout the nation including “hotspots” such as Cook County, Madison County, NYCAL, City of St. Louis and California.
- Represented consumer, commercial and industrial product manufacturers in fire, explosion and other property loss investigations and claims in numerous states.
- Served as national coordinating counsel in product liability litigation.
- Represented companies in the defense and prosecution of cases involving contractual claims such as breach of contract, unjust enrichment, quantum meruit, breach of express warranty, breach of implied warranty of merchantability and breach of implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose.
- Represented companies in the defense and prosecution of cases involving business torts including fraud, negligent misrepresentation, intentional misrepresentation/fraudulent inducement and breach of covenant of good faith & fair dealing.
- Handled plaintiff-side commercial cases on contingency fee structures.