Recognized since 1995
Salt Lake City, Utah
Natural Resources Law
Since 1975, Mr. Clyde has specialized in natural resources law, including oil and gas, public land law, and mining law, with a primary emphasis in water law.
Mr. Clyde has represented many clients in the buying and selling of water rights and in the conversion of water rights from agricultural irrigation use to domestic, municipal, and industrial use for development of real property, particularly in the resort areas of Summit County, Utah. He has represented parties in the negotiations of a Lease of Power Privilege on Bureau of Reclamation Facilities for the Central Utah Project and in the negotiation of power sales contracts from the hydroelectric facilities constructed under the lease. He is general counsel to the Central Utah Water Conservancy District, the sponsor of the Central Utah Project, and is knowledgeable regarding federal reclamation law. Real estate development projects for which he handled the water rights acquisition and conversion include the Jeremy Ranch, Park Meadows Golf Course and Development, Glenwild Golf Resort, Ranch Place, Landmark Plaza, Mountain Regional Water Special Service District, Summit Park Special Service District, Park City Mountain Resort, Snowbasin Ski Resort, Brian Head Ski Resort, and many others.
He has represented many individuals and entities before the State Engineer of the State of Utah, both as applicants and as protestants to water rights applications, and has litigated water rights appeals in the district courts, the Supreme Court of the State of Utah, and the federal courts. He also has experience in local government law and has represented many clients in planning and zoning activities before city and county planning and zoning authorities; drafted a water concurrency ordinance for Summit County, Utah; and created local special districts to provide water and sewer service within and without incorporated municipalities. Additionally, he has served on the Utah Legislature’s Water Task Force and the Executive’s Water Task Force from 2007 to 2010 to revise Utah’s water laws.
- Equestrian Competition and Trail Riding
- Mountain Biking and Road Biking
- Alpine and Cross Country Skiing
- Co-Owner and Operator of Diamond Bar X Ranch in Woodland, Utah
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.clydesnow.com/steven-e-clyde/
- One Utah Center, 22nd Floor
201 South Main Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
- University of Utah , Juris Doctor, graduated 1975
- University of Utah , BS, graduated 1972
- Utah, Utah State Bar
- University of Utah College of Law Alumni Association - Member, Former Chair
- Utah Water Conservation Forum - Past Board of Trustees
- American Bar Association, Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section, 1989 - 91 - Governing Council
- American Bar Association, Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section, Water Resources Committee, 1985 - 88 - Former Chair
- S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah, 2001–04, 2007–09 - Adjunct faculty member
- Utah Open Lands Conservation Association - Former Chair, Vice-Chair, Board Member
- Utah State Bar, Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section, 1989 – 90 - Former Chair
- Utah State Bar, Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section, Water Law Committee, 1983 - 86 - Past Chair
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Natural Resources Law, Salt Lake City (2019)
- Natural Resources Law, Salt Lake City (2014)
- Water Law, Salt Lake City (2012)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Environmental Law
- Natural Resources Law
- Water Law
- Utah Business Magazine Legal Elite, Environmental Law and Natural Resources Law
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Outstanding Service in the Private Sector Award, American Water Users’ Association (Utah Chapter), 2012
- Best Lawyers in America, Best Water Lawyer of the Year 2012 and 2011
- Mountain States Super Lawyers; Energy and Natural Resources, Environmental (2007-2021)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.