Steven D. Sallen began his career at Maddin, Hauser, Roth & Heller, P.C. in 1983, as a law clerk. Today, he is the President and Chief Executive Officer of the firm. Mr. Sallen received his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan, and his law degree, cum laude, from the University of Detroit School of Law, where he served as Case and Comment Editor of the University of Detroit Law Review.
Mr. Sallen concentrates his practice in the areas of real estate law, environmental law and corporate law, and his clients include some of Michigan's most successful manufacturing firms, real estate developers, general contractors, commercial real estate brokers and environmental consulting firms. Mr. Sallen is also the head of Maddin Hauser's Environmental Law Practice Group, and co-chair of the Real Estate Practice Group.
Reflective of his problem-solving approach to transactional issues, Mr. Sallen's many publications include: From Lemons to Lemonade; Successful Management of Lease Termination Negotiations Can Lead to New Opportunities For Commercial Property Owners (Michigan Lawyers Weekly, April 21, 2008) and New IRS Rules for Lenders May Help Troubled Commercial Borrowers (Michigan Lawyer's Weekly, November 2, 2009).
Mr. Sallen resides in an “empty nest” in Orchard Lake, Michigan with his wife and two dogs.
Significant Projects in 2015
- While acting as general counsel and member of its Board of Directors, Mr. Sallen assisted the owners and senior management team of the Garden Fresh Salsa Company with the sale of substantially all of the assets of its fresh salsa, hummus, dips, and tortilla manufacturing operations to a subsidiary of the Campbell’s Soup Company. The $231 million dollar sale price was widely reported by local and national media outlets.
- Mr. Sallen assisted a local real estate entrepreneur in negotiating the purchase of a Kmart anchored shopping center and subsequent buyout of the remaining term of Kmart’s lease. After possession of the anchor space was secured Mr. Sallen worked with our client to negotiate the terms of new leases for the former Kmart space, with three national brand big-box retailers.
- Mr. Sallen assisted a Michigan-based, but with global presence, internet marketing firm in negotiating a lease of multiple floors in one of Southeast Michigan’s tallest office buildings.
- Working closely with the firm’s Complex General Civil Litigation Department, Mr. Sallen has been instrumental in preventing the City of Pontiac from demolishing the iconic Phoenix Center parking deck, rooftop plaza and outdoor amphitheater. Demolition of the Phoenix Center would destroy the value of our client’s two, eight-story office towers, by leaving them with nowhere to park cars for up to 385,000 square feet of office space.
- Mr. Sallen assisted our client in successfully negotiating the termination of a long term ground lease with a regional grocery/superstore, and selling the property outright to the grocery/superstore chain. This multi-million dollar deal was, quite literally, the “transaction of a lifetime” for our client, and also for the referring real estate broker.