Recognized since 2006
Trusts and Estates
With over 40 years of experience, Steve Widdes is widely recognized for his knowledge and expertise in estate planning, asset protection, estate and trust administration, and tax and business succession planning. Steve prides himself on being a good listener and using the law to help people implement their personal estate planning goals. As chair of the firm’s Estates and Trusts practice group, Steve counsels a wide range of individuals and families, from those with more modest means to those with estates exceeding $100 million. He designs sophisticated estate plans to uniquely address issues faced by clients, whether to minimize estate and generation-skipping transfer taxes or to ensure an appropriate plan is in place to protect the clients’ loved ones.
With an approachable, friendly nature, Steve is committed to working closely with his clients to understand their particular anxieties and concerns with regard to their estate planning objectives. He is keenly focused on helping his clients put together a customized plan to accomplish their wishes in a manner that is sophisticated, tax advantageous and lasting. Steve considers his work as a true collaboration with his clients; one in which he actively strives to streamline the planning process so that each client feels heard, understood and involved in achieving their goals.
Tax, financial, charitable and estate planning groups frequently request Steve to speak on a variety of estate and business succession planning topics. Honored as a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) and nationally accredited as an estate planner, Steve served for many years on ACTEC’s Asset Protection Committee.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://steinsperling.com/attorneys/steven-widdes/
- E-mail: email@example.com
- 1101 Wootton Parkway, Suite 700
Rockville, MD 20852
- Drake University, B.A. (with honors), graduated 1973
- Drake University , J.D., graduated 1976
- Georgetown University, LL.M, graduated 1981
- Maryland, State Bar Association
- District of Columbia, The Bar
- Bar Association of Montgomery County - Member
- Maryland State Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Section of Real Property and Probate
- Adat Shalom Reconstructionist Congregation - Endowment Planning Committee (2011-2012)
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel - Fellow
- District of Columbia Estate Planning Council - Member
- Estate Planning Council of Suburban Maryland - Member
- Hebrew Home of Greater Washington - Board of Governors (1998-2011); Vice Chair (2009-2011)
- Jewish Social Service Agency - Planned Giving Committee (2011-2012)
- Montgomery/Prince George's County Tax Study Group - Member
- Suburban Hospital - Planned Giving Committee (2002-2012)
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Trusts and Estates, Washington, D.C. (2021)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Trusts and Estates
- Best Lawyers in America (2006-present)
- Maryland Super Lawyer (2007-2019); Top 10 Attorneys in Maryland (2017-2018); Top 50 Attorneys in Maryland (2010-2011); Top 100 Attorneys in Maryland (2012-2016)
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers magazine; Top 100 Attorneys in Washington, D.C. (2009-2018)
- Bethesda Magazine, Top Trusts and Estates Attorney (2011)
- Washingtonian; Top Trust and Estate Lawyer (2002-2019)
- Legal Times, Leading Lawyer, Trusts and Estates (2004)
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent peer review rating
"Steven Widdes is an outstanding estate attorney. His expertise combined with his compassion and wisdom make him ideally suited for this practice area. I have recommended him to others and will continue to do so."
- Patti Aronsson
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.