Recognized since 1999
Black attended law school at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville and graduated in 1973. In law school Black was a member of the Tennessee Law Review and Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity.
Black was an associate attorney with the Memphis law firm of Hanover, Walsh, Jalenak & Blair from 1973 to 1979 and a partner from 1979 until 1993. In 1994 Black founded the firm which now is Black, McLaren, Jones, Ryland & Griffee, P.C. Black has been a member of the Memphis Bar Association, the Tennessee Bar Association and the American Bar Association from 1973 until present.
Black has had the highest rating (AV) by Martindale Hubbell every year since 1990 and has been selected to Best Lawyers in America (Family Law) every year since 1999. He has been named Lawyer of the Year in Family Law by Best Lawyers twice, for 2018 and for 2021. Black was the first family lawyer practitioner in Memphis to be selected as a Mid-South Super Lawyer.
Black is married to Lynda Wray Black, a graduate of Yale Law School and presently Associate Professor at the University of Memphis School of Law. They have five children and six grandchildren.
- 530 Oak Court Drive, Suite 360
Memphis, TN 38117
- Gender: Male
- Ethnicity: White
- The University of Tennessee, graduated 1973
- Mississippi State University, graduated 1970
- Tennessee, Tennessee Bar Association
- Leo Bearman Chapter, American Inns of Court - Master
- Memphis Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Memphis Development Foundation - General Counsel, Past Chairman
- Family Law, Memphis (2021)
- Family Law, Memphis (2018)
- Family Law
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Child Custody
- Domestic Relations
- Equitable Division
- Grandparents' Rights
- Special Master
- Distinguished Service Award, Mississippi State Alumni Assoc. 2003
- Orpheus Award 2012 awarded by The Memphis Development Foundation
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.