Stephen H. "Steve" Gariepy
Recognized since 2006
Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
Trusts and Estates
Steve regularly counsels owners of privately held companies and guides business owners through options for succession planning, leveraged gifting, tax-free sales, valuation discounting, shifting voting control and equity among active and non-active heirs, split-dollar and other insurance plans, incentive compensation, buy-sell agreements, stock transfer restrictions, business reorganizations, buyouts, tender offers, asset protection (domestic and offshore), dynasty trusts, legacy trusts, family offices, charitable trusts, and foundations. He places an emphasis on minimizing income tax, gift tax, estate tax and generation-skipping tax.
Steve is often called upon to resolve the difficult issues that arise in the dynamic relationships among family members and business owners. He also assists executors and trustees in the often complex role of estate and trust administration.
In addition, Steve has served as a software consultant for BNA Estate & Gift Tax Planner, the gold standard in estate planning software produced by the Bureau of National Affairs Inc.
Steve has received numerous awards for his efforts. These include being the first to receive The Best Lawyers in America Lawyer of the Year award for Cleveland Trusts and Estates. The selection was based on the highest peer ratings of other leading practitioners in his specialty for abilities, professionalism and integrity. His other awards include recognition in the The Best Lawyers in America for Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, The Best Lawyers in America for Trusts and Estates, Ohio Super Lawyers for Estate Planning and Probate (Blue Ribbon Panelist), the Award of Merit from the Ohio Legal Center Institute, and the Distinguished Estate Planner of the Year Award from the Estate Planning Council of Cleveland. He is also AV® Preeminent Rated (the highest peer rankings for legal ability and ethics) by Martindale-Hubbell. In 2015, Steve was recognized by Crain’s Cleveland Business as one of the “100 Most Connected” businesspeople in Northeast Ohio. Steve is also a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, and has served as a faculty member at its conferences.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Direct Phone Number: 216-621-0150
- Phone Number: 216-621-0150
- Lawyer Page: https://www.hahnlaw.com/professionals/stephen-h-gariepy
- 200 Public Square, Suite 2800
Cleveland, OH 44114
- The Ohio State University, J.D., graduated 1977
- Case Western Reserve University, B.A., graduated 1974
- Arizona, State Bar of Arizona
- Florida, 2005
- Ohio, 1977
- Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Rock Advisors - Founding Member
- Estate Planning Council of Cleveland - Member and past President
- Cleveland International Piano Competition - Board Member
- Great Lakes Theater Festival - Trustee
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel - Fellow
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Tax Court
56 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
15 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America awards
- Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Cleveland (2021)
- Trusts and Estates, Cleveland (2011)
- Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Tax Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Estate Planning
- Planning for Closely Held Businesses
- Succession Planning
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, 2017-22; Trusts and Estates-2006-22, Cleveland Lawyer of the Year, Closely Held Companies and Family Business Law, 2021
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2004-21
- Chambers and Partners HNW Guide, Private Wealth Law, 2018-21
- AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell
- OSBA Certified Specialist, Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law
- “100 Most Connected” businesspeople in Northeast Ohio, Crain’s Cleveland Business
- Distinguished Estate Planner of the Year, The Estate Planning Council of Cleveland
- The Award of Merit, The Ohio Legal Center Institute
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.