Recognized since 2012
Washington, District of Columbia
Criminal Defense: White-Collar
Steve Best is Chair of Brown Rudnick's White Collar Defense and Government Investigations group. He advises clients on all aspects of corporate governance including complex internal investigations, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance strategies, grand jury and independent counsel investigations, parallel proceedings, complex civil litigation, and trial practice before federal and state tribunals.
Steve has represented numerous companies, both public and privately held, as well as various individuals in multiple, separate FCPA investigations. Steve has also represented numerous public companies before the NYAG investment protection unit and represented a public company in parallel SEC and DOJ investigations surrounding allegations of questionable valuations in the company's asset portfolio.
Steve is a regular lecturer on criminal law and procedure to bar associations, and state and federal law enforcement agencies. He has been lead chair on approximately two hundred jury trials and hundreds of bench trials. He also is a professor at the University of Virginia National Trial Advocacy Institute.
Prior to joining Brown Rudnick, Steve served as the chair a large, multinational law firm based in New York and prior to that, was a prosecutor for almost ten years serving as an Assistant United States Attorney in Washington, D.C. and an Assistant Commonwealth's attorney in Fairfax, Virginia.
Contact & Links
- 601 Thirteenth Street, NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20005
- Washington and Lee University , BA
- The District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation - Committee Chair
- Trial Advocacy Law, George Washington University - Adjunct Professor
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Best Lawyers in America, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- LawDragon, Top 500 Lawyers in America, 2010
- Washingtonian Magazine, Rated as Top Lawyer in Washington, DC, 2007
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.