Recognized since 1993
Charleston, South Carolina
Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
Scott Barnes, a Certified Tax Specialist, joined the Firm’s Charleston office in 2013.
He is listed in the 2016 South Carolina Super Lawyers for Tax.
Mr. Barnes is published in The Journal of Taxation, South Carolina Lawyer, and co-authored the South Carolina Treatise, Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships. He is also the co-author of Practical Guide to Commercial Real Estate in South Carolina.
Mr. Barnes is a former chairman of the South Carolina Bar Association Tax Section, a member of the American Bar Association Tax Section and Partnership Subcommittee, a fellow of the American College of Tax Lawyers. He served on the Governor’s Economic Development Incentives Committee, was an adjunct professor of law at the University of South Carolina Law School, and is currently an adjunct professor at the Charleston School of Law. He is a former chairman of the Board of Trustees of Charleston Day School, a former trustee and President of the Lowcountry Open Land Trust, trustee and former President of the Southern Federal Tax Institute, and has served as a trustee of the Community Foundation Serving Coastal South Carolina, the Charleston Area Community Development Corporation, and the Gibbes Museum of Art. He is currently President of the Church Street Historic Foundation.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.hsblawfirm.com/Attorneys/Scott-Y-Barnes
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 134 Meeting Street, Third Floor
P.O. Box 340
Charleston, SC 29402-0340
- Georgetown University, graduated 1976
- Georgetown University , LLM, graduated 1976
- Vanderbilt University, BA, graduated 1969
- Vanderbilt University , graduated 1969
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - Office of the Commissioner - IRS Chief Counsel
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Tax Law, Charleston, SC (2012)
- Corporate Law, Charleston, SC (2011)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Corporate Law
- Tax Law
- Closely-Held Businesses
- Conservation easements
- Corporate Finance
- Family Businesses
- General Corporate
- Income Tax
- Limited Liability Companies
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Partnership and Limited Liability
- Real Estate
- Real Estate
- State and Local Tax
- Subchapter S Corporations
- Tax Disputes
- Tax Planning
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.